A Hackers Beginner Guide

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 am
([msg=76778]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

VvGHOSTvV wrote:Great post man.

If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by KevinExtremo on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 am
([msg=76783]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Hey,

When I was little a friend of mine send me some code. At that time the internet was still something that was already well in-use but more for people who were working and had the money to afford it. You'd sit infront of one of these old dial-in modems and as you'd dial into the internet, you'd hear these squeeky noises. Eventually your modem connected you to the internet and your phone would stop working. You'd browse the internet back then and not lay your eye off the clock at the bottom right because you had to pay per minute for the very freedom of speaking to the world. So you'd outline your stuff that you were going to do on the internet, log on and finish it as quick as possible.

If you initiated a download, you could watch the few megabytes be downloaded a 64kb chunk at a time. It'd take forever and so you wouldn't really bother with it. However I had a mission, I wanted to be a programmer one day. So instead of going on the internet and hearing my mother complain to me for being on there for an hour, I decided that anything can be explained by logic. So I decided to open up this code using notepad at first. Eventually my friend told me there is programs to view source code and I was browsing the code in colour! That was amazing I tell you this much.

I had a base to start on and it was much simpler than you imagine. I knew people would speak about code being written in a programming language, so I knew all along that since it was a language, all you have to do is find the correct translation. So I read the code over and over in an attempt to understand it. At the time I was rather naive and I still I am. I told my friends I am a coder and they believed me. They told me things to make and I knew I couldn't possibly do it, but I wasn't ready to give up. So I continued reading the code and changing strings in the code to make it look as if I had any clue of what I was doing. The trick worked.. for a while.

Eventually my friends realized that I was just editing text so I had to come up with more and so I decided to change a line here or there and see what happens. Of course I got thrown hundreds of errors everytime I tried to compile the code, but I did not give up. I kept reading the code in order to begin translating the code. The more I read it, the more I began translating things. I'd tell myself that any program consists of a large cabinet with ever so many drawers. I'd imagine that each drawer had a name written on them and a piece of paper inside. This piece held some information and in order to access it, you must know the name to the drawer. I had found an explanation for variables, a primitive one maybe, but I finally had something translated.

I am sure by now you must be thinking that this post is a waste of time and you're probably right. So I'll speed up the rest. I began translating more and more and eventually actually coded stuff. I was coding stuff for two more years after that until the flat-rates were invented. I found a forum where things were explained in further detail and obviously there was wikipedia. I learned so much more about programming than I ever imagined.

I've even studied programming for two years at this time and I am no longer a teenager either. However my point is something much more than just me telling you about how I learned programming. I learned something about programmers. I applied for a job as a programmer not too long ago and mind you I've already worked for companies as a programmer and during the job interview I was asked questions. I couldn't answer all of them immediatly and so the Boss told me that real programming students could answer all of them and I realized once more that what I had learned over the years was true.

Okay, I've held the answer out long enough now:

You must learn why you do things. I read it in Ninjex post as well and I immediatly knew exactly what he means. You must learn why you do things and not how. The education system works just like Ninjex explained it and I've been telling people I've met this so many times but people do not listen. The education system teaches you how to do things because they want to prepare you for work in the least possible amount of time because time is money!

They are not interested in making you understand why you do things the way you do them. However this is a key skill in order to understand anything and it is why I believe people who learn things by themself are significantly better at it than people who studied or learned it by school or university.

Imagine the following scenario:

You're going to class because you really want to learn to become a construction worker. The teacher tells you to repeatively run against the wall and stand back up once you smash into it and drop to the floor.

Now ask yourself: Would you do it? If the answer is no which I truely hope it is, then ask yourself: Why wouldn't I?. Once you understand why you wouldn't do it, you realize that you understand what you were about to do and that it made no sense. So then ask yourself: Why are you doing what the teacher tells you to?. I am guessing the answer to that can be different for some, some would probably do it because the person must know what he/she is talking about, others would argue the person has authority but I can tell you why: The teacher never explained why you're doing it, so you never really had a chance.

Anyway, I just wanted to stress that. I hope it helps some people!

Yes, I've recently found hackthissite and now I am trying to learn to become a hacker as well. Even though I believe I am already a hacker but I am still not as good as I wish to be. Any advice is always appreciated of course. Thanks so much for all your help guys =)

Good luck and be safe,
Kevin.

PS: For some reason I find it impossible to be hidden on the internet. I could list you way too many reasons why it is not very possible. I actually wrote a small document about how to stay hidden on the web about a year back: A funny story actually because I discovered that the technique I had "invented" in my mind already exists. It's called Onion Routing. Yeah, too bad I wasn't born like 20 years earlier so that I could of invented that method before they did! Probably had a budget now for some development plans I have!
KevinExtremo
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm
([msg=76786]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

I would like to welcome you here, KevinExtremo!
A very great post for your first response here, I can't argue with anything you said. I hope to see posts from you in the future, you sound like a dedicated and talented individual.

Thank you for taking the time and explaining in depth to others the importance of self education. People that self educate, will educate themselves in areas that they enjoy learning. This means that they will strive at that field and become extremely proficient at it (most of the time). This goes beyond the standard education you receive of pounding in knowledge about stuff you do not care about, whether it's important or not.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Aleerad1 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:10 am
([msg=77059]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Thank you Ninjex for your words of encouragement. I totally understand what you meant and how you felt when you wrote those, so thank you for sharing.
Aleerad1
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:02 am
([msg=77062]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Aleerad1 wrote:Thank you Ninjex for your words of encouragement. I totally understand what you meant and how you felt when you wrote those, so thank you for sharing.

Don't thank me; but thanks. It's what we should all be doing in this world. Sharing information with each other so that all of us can learn from it. To show your appreciation, you can simply follow in this trail and help others when they need it.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by joeyrules666 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:35 pm
([msg=78116]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

i realy want to thank you for this post it has realy given me a better insight on things
joeyrules666
New User
New User

Post by SKeR Hacking on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm
([msg=80145]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Thank you so much for posting this thread! It has really helped me!
SKeR Hacking
New User
New User

Post by LuCiF3RsG0D on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm
([msg=80173]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

I used to know way more when I was younger (13-16). I believe the younger you start you have a great possibility of learning at a much higher pace. Now 5 years since drifting away, I am slowly following back the footsteps. I always read about Linux but never had a chance to install since it wasn't my computer and was afraid I'd do something to it that couldn't be undone. My love for anything has always been computers. It was something that had no boundaries. School always felt like it was working at a suppperrr slow pace. Hence why I never finished it. Being at home exploring online, I was able to research every topic my mind lead me to. There was no "speed" at which I had to go. If I could read 300 pgs in 3hrs, I didn't have to wait for someone to tell me "slow down there buddy we have to wait for timmy." Most of the knowledge I attained came from online gaming. ET: Wolfenstein. Mods, patches, all that good stuff.

I'd like to say hello everyone and hope you're all having a great day wherever in the world you may be. Now, to get some more reading done.

p.s. - 5stars on this post yo. Coming here I too asked myself "Where do I start?" Did a bit of clicking and found this ha. Hope to see if we could work together in the future when I get more knowledge.
LuCiF3RsG0D
New User
New User

Post by jameshasnoname on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:11 am
([msg=80342]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

hi there .. thank you so much for the info

i am really new to this hacking things and i'm glad that i found this place, this is a really good place to start, i'm really interested in hacking things as well as in computer things, though sometimes i found it's a hard things to do and there's sooo many things i don't know yet. well at least i have a will an quite motivated so i hope i could carry on really well :D ... for this hacking stuffs i really have to start from scratch since i have no sufficient knowledge in computer programming, linux, etc ... i even fail the basic mission test in HTS

well since hacking is a sensitive issue in many place, i have to say that i use it only to enrich my knowledge, i found it's fun anyway... hope what i'm gonna do will not harm other people and i hope i will not ended in a bad place

Thx

J
jameshasnoname
New User
New User

Post by MagusNash on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:36 am
([msg=81802]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Hey There,

I would just like to thank you for taking the time to create this post.

I am a complete n00b to the world of hacking however have a few years experience in the support fields of I.T and am currently studying to get my CCNA Networking & Switching then i plan to do the CCNA Security course.

I am here to learn more about Network exploits and how those can be combated which, in turn, i hope to help me be better at my job.

Again many thanks for clearing some beginner issues up and supplying links to some tools and some intelligent ideas on how to begin.

Mark
MagusNash
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone