Eavesdropping on a Conversation

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Eavesdropping on a Conversation

Post by Bren2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 pm
([msg=34421]see Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

Anyone have any good ways of eavesdropping on phone conversations? Like wireless handsets or cellphones?

I've heard of people using starting their Microwave and pressing their ear to it to be able to hear people on cellphones, but something tells me that that not only doesn't work, but is probably just asking for cancer.

EDIT: 100 posts!
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation

Post by faazshift on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 pm
([msg=34424]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

Well, as microwave radiation is non-ionizing, cancer isn't really a risk (learn more here). Anyway, the idea that a magnetron can turn random signals into understandable sound seems a bit ridiculous. As for eavesdropping on conversations, I can't really help you (not something I have played with or learned much about).
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm
([msg=34427]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

I also don't know too much about the topic, but wireless phones usually use radio waves. A radio scanner might work, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to scan the frequencies used by phones.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:22 pm
([msg=34428]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

Get a tan trench coat, large sunglasses, a hat, and a newspaper. Stand awkwardly close to the individual. Insta-Fed!
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by eth0mane on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 pm
([msg=34429]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

Seriously a microwave???? :lol:
eth0mane
New User
New User

Post by cilpolir on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am
([msg=34465]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I also don't know too much about the topic, but wireless phones usually use radio waves. A radio scanner might work, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to scan the frequencies used by phones.

Didn't thetan say that wireless phones send on the same frequency as your wireless network, so shouldn't it be possible to pick them up with your wireless network card? Just a guess...
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:57 pm
([msg=34487]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

Interesting... I guess in theory yes, since 802.11 works on 2.4/3.6/5 GHZ, and the handset on my desk operates on 2.4 GHZ.

I did some Googling, and got the link below. This sounds like a fun weekend activity xD.

http://www.willhackforsushi.com/books/377_eth_2e_06.pdf

^It's a link to a PDF on the topic.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by thetan on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 pm
([msg=34864]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

cilpolir wrote:Didn't thetan say that wireless phones send on the same frequency as your wireless network, so shouldn't it be possible to pick them up with your wireless network card? Just a guess...

In theory it is entirely possible. It would require custom written NIC drivers and a custom suite of code to power it as well. I have yet to see any PoC on the subject matter of it working through a wireless-NIC, but i don't see why it couldn't.

This does remind me back when i was growing up. Me and my cousins would accidently be able to pick up transmissions from cordless phones when we were talking to each other playing Warcraft 1 & 2 or Starcraft on BattleNet (these games owned my young life) on cordless phones and even when we we're playing with super cheap "toys R us" bought "walkie-talkies". Imagine the confusion/excitement of an 8-10 yr old talking on a cordless phone/cheap-ass-walkie-talkie when he suddenly hears random people suddenly jump into the conversation and pop out. Which eventually led to me and my cousin walking around the block numerous times with a cordless handset seeing if we could pick up any conversations.

Like i said, this is something that was all to common when i was 8-10. Now i'm 21 so it's been 11-13 years since I've attempted this, so i'm entirely unsure on the current state of all this. Regardless, it was still fun when i was young.

insomaniacal wrote:http://www.willhackforsushi.com/books/377_eth_2e_06.pdf

....... No it's not. It's a PDF on the topic of __packet__ sniffing over wifi, which is by no means the same thing as picking up headset <-> base station phone transmissions.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 pm
([msg=34876]see Re: Eavesdropping on a Conversation[/msg])

thetan wrote:

....... No it's not. It's a PDF on the topic of __packet__ sniffing over wifi, which is by no means the same thing as picking up headset <-> base station phone transmissions.[/quote]

Yea, I realized that after reading through a few pages. When I opened it, I flipped through and say a chart with a bunch of frequencies, and just assumed it would be on the topic. Never bothered updating the post though.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to Telecommunications