Page 2 of 2

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:44 pm
by Defience
armywatts1, I'm curious as to why the military won't let you walk & talk on a cell phone at the same time.

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm
by godofcereal
A general screaming LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT! And you going "yes dear I love you too".
YOU LOVE ME? 100 PUSH UPS!

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 pm
by easy2cy
Defience wrote:armywatts1, I'm curious as to why the military won't let you walk & talk on a cell phone at the same time.


It's a safety issue. Not paying enough attention can get you hit by a car. You can use a hands-free device though.
Also, it's just a distraction in uniform where you might not notice an officer and therefore not salute him/her and then get yelled at.
It looks unprofessional to be walking around in uniform holding a phone up to your ear and blabbing away.

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:05 am
by Snackz
Blackberry edge, heh

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 pm
by nasomancer
I use a G1, which I got almost immediately after it came out. I loved it at first, now it causes me nothing but frustration -- no one's fault but my own, though. I'm using Cyanogen's latest Nexus One rom (the last "stable release" worked pretty good, in case you're wondering). It's just like having a Nexus One that behaves a little (sometimes a lot) slower than a real Nexus One. I plan to upgrade when I get my tax return.

Pros:
Physical keyboard is nice for several reasons. Makes the Nintendo emulator easier to use (I can't imagine trying to play Mega Man on the touch screen alone) and because it's a QWERTY, I can text without even looking.

The screen is great in direct sunlight.

When not in direct sunlight, turning the brightness all the way down isn't unbearable.

It's pretty durable as long as you don't slide the screen out super fast.

Sounds good.

I charge it when I go to bed and the battery almost always makes it to the next charge, despite a lot of use throughout the day. (I turn the brightness down, disable wi-fi and GPS when I don't need 'em.)

Cons:
Smart phones should have a dedicated headphone jack. The G1 requires the use of an adapter which goes into the same port as the charger. So if you're listening to music and your battery's about to go dead, you're SOL.

Doesn't allow app2SD out of the box.

Internal memory is way too small. I can get maybe 15 apps on it at once, but it depends on the size of the apps.

Android isn't updated past 1.7.

Already feels pretty dated.


When I get my new phone, which will certainly be another Android, I'll probably keep the G1 as a Google Voice handset for around the house (got the idea from 2600's current issue).

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 pm
by latezio
I got Nokia N900. It's something you'd call a hacker phone althought I don't consider myself as one. Yet.
Has:
-qwerty keyboard
-3.5" touch screen
-linux based Maemo 5 OS
-also this old thing called phone ability
and buch of other cool stuff.

There are some programs you may be familiar with, that you can have on it, e.g. wireshark, ettercap, metasploit, aircrack and so on..

If you already don't have a netbook, this is a good device in terms of hackers handheld devices.

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:58 pm
by centip3de
latezio wrote:I got Nokia N900. It's something you'd call a hacker phone althought I don't consider myself as one. Yet.
Has:
-qwerty keyboard
-3.5" touch screen
-linux based Maemo 5 OS
-also this old thing called phone ability
and buch of other cool stuff.

There are some programs you may be familiar with, that you can have on it, e.g. wireshark, ettercap, metasploit, aircrack and so on..

If you already don't have a netbook, this is a good device in terms of hackers handheld devices.


Please don't necro an old thread, just let them die.

Also, jail broken iPhone, or rooted Android pwns the Nokia N900.

~Cent

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm
by mShred
centip3de wrote:
Please don't necro an old thread, just let them die.

Also, jail broken iPhone, or rooted Android pwns the Nokia N900.

~Cent

Rooted Android, HELL yes. Custom ROMs, FUCK yes.
As for the necro, i just decided to leave it. It's kind of one of those threads that are ongoing.

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm
by centip3de
mShred wrote:
centip3de wrote:
Please don't necro an old thread, just let them die.

Also, jail broken iPhone, or rooted Android pwns the Nokia N900.

~Cent

Rooted Android, HELL yes. Custom ROMs, FUCK yes.
As for the necro, i just decided to leave it. It's kind of one of those threads that are ongoing.


I would be inclined to agree with you more about the rooted Android, if I had an Android phone... Stupid BlackBerry >.>