Beginning Studies / Cell Phones

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Beginning Studies / Cell Phones

Post by Coyotl on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:35 am
([msg=78000]see Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the board but certainly not new to computers. When the internet was first "invented" I was spamming phone numbers with Telnet just to see what I could find. I stopped programming, but recently got bit by the curiosity bug again. I'm going through the missions on the site and loving it.

Having a touch of the ADD, I also want to branch out to cell phones. My request is somewhat vague: where is a good place to start researching? If I have to narrow it down I would like to hack from an apple laptop to a iOS device (should be easier, no?) Data retrieval would be the first goal. Are there any key words I should use in my searches? CSS? Do we still call it phreaking? Any help to get me rolling would be much appreciated. I'm usually good at following the trail once I'm on it.

Thanks.

-C
Coyotl
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones

Post by hellow533 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm
([msg=78001]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

I think I'm having some trouble reading this, are you trying to learn cellphone data interception?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 pm
([msg=78002]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Two problems here:

First, cell phones are no longer just phones; they are computers. If they have a vulnerable service on an open port, you can get in. The same rules that apply to computer security apply to phone security, with a few exceptions (most computers can't receive SMS, most phones don't run HTTP, etc.). If you're looking to gain control over an iPhone, you will pretty much need to 0day it or find a flaw in a popular web app, most of which will be sandboxed. In short, not super easy but it has been done.

Second, the phone network is different than a computer network. You'll want to take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_network and branch out from there. There's a lot of proprietary and complex shit going on to make sure Allison can talk to Becca about why Cody is *sooo* much hotter than Derek. There was a decent talk at DefCon/BlackHat (can't remember which) a few years back about intercepting phone calls by posing as a legitimate base station. Basically phones don't check authenticity of their station before placing a call, so the closest station wins.

Sorta relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnSK8AotyyM

I can't find the video right now (in a bit of a hurry) of the rogue base station, but this vid is not bad either.

Long story longer, nothing will necessarily be "easier" to hack, but if you learn the tech behind it and think a bit, you can start seeing patterns. Patterns are easy to break.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Blue_Devil on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 am
([msg=78048]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Blue_Devil
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:54 am
([msg=78049]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Blue_Devil wrote:http://venturebeat.com/2010/07/31/hacker-shows-how-he-can-intercept-cell-phone-calls-for-1500/

$1500? That's actually quite reasonable for its purpose depending on the person and objective, but I think I'll pass.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:35 pm
([msg=78057]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Blue_Devil wrote:http://venturebeat.com/2010/07/31/hacker-shows-how-he-can-intercept-cell-phone-calls-for-1500/

That's the one. A thousand Internets to you, sir, who made an account 3 years ago seemingly for the sole purpose of helping me find the link.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hellow533 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm
([msg=78058]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:

That's the one. A thousand Internets to you, sir, who made an account 3 years ago seemingly for the sole purpose of helping me find the link.

Someone has a crush.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 am
([msg=78064]see Re: Beginning Studies / Cell Phones[/msg])

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Telecommunications