Chromebook Review?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Chromebook Review?

Post by Malcolm Frink on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm
([msg=69389]see Chromebook Review?[/msg])

What does everyone think about the new Chromebook?
Malcolm Frink
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Chromebook Review?

Post by centip3de on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:16 pm
([msg=69399]see Re: Chromebook Review?[/msg])

Malcolm Frink wrote:What does everyone think about the new Chromebook?

First off, I'd like to say that I love Google. In fact, in about 4 years time, I'm hoping to get a full time job with them in their Bellevue (Washington) campus.

Alright, now that that's said, I hate it. I can't stand 'the cloud'. I prefer to have a local version of my files, all the time. I don't want whatever I write, say, watch, or see to be able to be viewed by whoever has admin privileges to the server. I mean, most of that stuff is already out there (i.e. a server admin from Google can see that I uploaded a YouTube video a few years ago), but the things that I create on my computer, my programming projects, my notes, my password files, I want those to stay there.It would also be nice if I start up a computer without Internet access (or 3G/4G) that I could still work on something and entertain myself. Lastly, I want to be able to do whatever the hell I want to my own computer. They've installed shit tons of proprietary firmware on there that is meant to protect the device from hacking/malware, but it also prevents me from installing my own OS. Even if they didn't have that there, you can't ever exit out of the webbrowser (desktop), so I couldn't get to anything fun anyway.

However, this doesn't mean that the device as a whole is terrible. It is nice to be able to access your documents from wherever you go (unless you're me). If you just do casual things, that can all be done via a WebBrowser, then this computer is an excellent option for you. But, if you're looking for something that you can control a bit more, and have (in my opinion) a lot more fun with, then I wouldn't even bother with it. It's all a matter of choice, really.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Operating Systems