Windows or Linux

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Windows or Linux

Post by xTractatorix on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am
([msg=67119]see Windows or Linux[/msg])

I am quite aware of the *distaste* there is in this community of the Windows OS and yes i am quite aware of the security shortcomings of the OS, but im seriously considering sticking with it, for this reason. Since almost 60% of computers run some form of Windows wouldnt it be good to understand it? I see no better way of understanding the Windows OS except actually using it and trying out different things on it. Am i wrong in this conclusion?
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows or Linux

Post by edone automaton on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 am
([msg=67120]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

I think a fair few people here happily use windows tbh. I agree with what you say though, you should have a knowledge of windows because of its prevalence in the market, depending what your ultimate aims are of course. If you are going to interact with other people who have computers, just as an example, as a pentester say, chances are they will be using windows.
I personally use both. Why limit yourself out of some misplaced 'snobbery'?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 am
([msg=67122]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

I also use both. I just switch back and forth. Basically windows 7 is my main OS and I ssh into a linux box on which I do more development on. I really don't prefer one over the other anymore it's just a matter of what I prefer to do on one over the other. Knowing both is the best way to go if at all possible. It definitely makes you more flexible in terms of you never know what you are going to run into outside of your own personal setup.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am
([msg=67125]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

Agreed with both ^
OP, yes you are correct most people use Windows as their primary OS. I do, I just like the feel of it and my vidya games. But when I'm doing anything hacking related I prefer linux. It's entirely preference though. You can still do a lot of work working on a windows machine. Plus it's good to familiarize yourself with what others can do from different operating systems. Such as what tools are available, the pluses and negatives, etc.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by centip3de on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 pm
([msg=67134]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

Geeze, I feel out numbered here. I use Linux as my main OS and rarely switch back over to Windows, though I do have it installed. Even though I'm a pretty big gamer, all of my games are WINE compatible and I get better FPS with it anyways, so I have no reason to go back unless something goes screwy.

Anyways, OP, it really depends. Most people are already extremely familiar with Windows, so really, unless you're reading a book, I don't see how you can become more familiar. And if you're reading a book, you can do that just as well on Linux. So IMHO, it comes down to which you like better. If you like one more than the other, go with it, just be prepared to justify your claim, as to avoid the rampant OS snobbish-ness.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by limdis on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 pm
([msg=67135]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

centip3de wrote:...I get better FPS...

Seriously? Hmm. I did not think about that being a possibility. Without all the processes in windows running like they do, it might make the overall performance better across the board.
limdis

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 pm
([msg=67141]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

OP what our geniuses here told you without actually telling you is they ALL use both operating systems. Some of them might prefer one OS at a certain time and not the other, but that you will find out as you go. My suggestion would be to dabble until you find your nitch. There are ups and downs for every OS and if you can learn them all, then you can potentially have the best of all worlds.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:55 pm
([msg=67145]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

limdis wrote:
Seriously? Hmm. I did not think about that being a possibility. Without all the processes in windows running like they do, it might make the overall performance better across the board.

Well not only that, but because Linux itself has such low overhead and innately requires less RAM / CPU to run itself, more of that can be dedicated to running WINE/Your games. On Windows, in TF2 (Team Fortress 2), for example, I average 35 FPS. Whereas on Linux, I average 50. Then again, I am forced to use Direct X 8.1 (I think) as it's the most compatible version with WINE. So, if extremely fancy graphics aren't your thing, I'd definitely say to try it out.

Side note:
Steam is OFFICIALLY being ported to LINUX. Which means it'll run even better =D
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by limdis on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:57 pm
([msg=67146]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

centip3de you keep telling me good things about linux and I might just do a full conversion lol
limdis

Post by centip3de on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 pm
([msg=67147]see Re: Windows or Linux[/msg])

limdis wrote:centip3de you keep telling me good things about linux and I might just do a full conversion lol

The more the merrier!
centip3de

Next

Return to Operating Systems