Creating an OS

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Creating an OS

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm
([msg=65493]see Creating an OS[/msg])

How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Creating an OS

Post by hellow533 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm
([msg=65495]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

I'm going to create and operating system with no prior knowledge on how to make one.

*back at nasa*
Let's get this rocket fired!

(scientist) I don't think mahogany was a good material for a space miss-
*countdown begins*
“True hacking is like skydiving, you want to make sure you have arms, because nobody’s going to be there to pull the chute for you.”
hellow533
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:19 pm
([msg=65499]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? ?

You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm
([msg=65504]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:I'm going to create and operating system with no prior knowledge on how to make one.

*back at nasa*
Let's get this rocket fired!

(scientist) I don't think mahogany was a good material for a space miss-
*countdown begins*

Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? ?

You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm
([msg=65506]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Why do you wanna learn how to make an OS?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm
([msg=65508]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Because I want to learn everything I can about computers- hardware, software, networking, security, Internet, etc.
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 pm
([msg=65509]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:Because I want to learn everything I can about computers- hardware, software, networking, security, Internet, etc.

That's quite a daunting task. What do you know as of right now?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 pm
([msg=65510]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the wonderful realm of OS developing, where I have been for the past 2 years.

Well, if you want to make a mod of a Linux based OS, that's pretty easy. All that is required is for you to mod your current, or a test OS, then just make a bootable version of it and distribute.

But, if you want to make an actual OS, from scratch, then you're going to be in for a fun run...

Either way, you'll want to program, program, program, program. And when you're tired and bored from programming, program some more. I would suggest programming in C as your main language, and mastering it to such an extent that you want your future wife (or husband) to have a built in compiler. If you don't know C, learn it. Then, repeat the previous steps.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Actually, unless you really want to, you only need ASM for about 3 or 4 parts. C is the most dominate language.

Copycat_Joker wrote:Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

Google.
osdev.org
osdever.net

Copycat_Joker wrote:Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?

(Setting up to learn C, if you already know a programming language, skip to third step)
Learn HTML
Learn PHP
Learn C
Learn ASM
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm
([msg=65511]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the wonderful realm of OS developing, where I have been for the past 2 years.

Well, if you want to make a mod of a Linux based OS, that's pretty easy. All that is required is for you to mod your current, or a test OS, then just make a bootable version of it and distribute.

But, if you want to make an actual OS, from scratch, then you're going to be in for a fun run...

Either way, you'll want to program, program, program, program. And when you're tired and bored from programming, program some more. I would suggest programming in C as your main language, and mastering it to such an extent that you want your future wife (or husband) to have a built in compiler. If you don't know C, learn it. Then, repeat the previous steps.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Actually, unless you really want to, you only need ASM for about 3 or 4 parts. C is the most dominate language.

Copycat_Joker wrote:Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

Google.
osdev.org
osdever.net

Copycat_Joker wrote:Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?

(Setting up to learn C, if you already know a programming language, skip to third step)
Learn HTML
Learn PHP
Learn C
Learn ASM

I was wanting to just mod a Linux-based OS. I just want to know how, and how to make it into a bootable .IMG file. Just a mod, not from scratch.

@anarchy420x- I know HTML, some CSS, and some Javascript. Next for me to study is PHP. I've already put what I've learned into practice Administrating a PHPbb2 forum and creating custom HTML pages for it, and also using Javasript and CSS to make it the way I want it. I also know all the CompTia A+ stuff as well, which is what is needed for the A+ Certification from Microsoft to become an entry-level Computer Technician. I've also been completing some of the challenges on HTS, you can see which ones I've completed so far here: http://www.hackthissite.org/user/view/Copycat_Joker/
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm
([msg=65530]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:I was wanting to just mod a Linux-based OS. I just want to know how, and how to make it into a bootable .IMG file. Just a mod, not from scratch.

Then you wouldn't really be creating an Operating System... But whatever suites your fancy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-6509.html
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Operating Systems