linux or windows

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Re: linux or windows

Post by RedString on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 am
([msg=62999]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

While Wine is getting better and better at gaming - I wouldn't go as far to say that gaming on Linux is synonymous with on a Windows machine. Aside from Wine there is a whole slew of other issues, such as drivers (Specifically nvidia). Of course there are fixes for almost any problem you'll come across when trying to get a game to run smoothly on Linux, but it's just that - a fix. With Windows it will be a lot more hassle free, which is why Windows is still superior for gaming.

Linux does have superior command line, but it's not like you cannot add to Windows CLI features. This is somewhat similar to the issues with Windows/Linux gaming except it's Linux who has the features already there.

From my experiences it's more about your philosophy - are you an adamant supporter of open source? Do you want to get more familiar outside of GUI? Lot of things come into play. Personally I ended up switching my laptop back to Windows 7. I constantly use new Windows applications and was tired of having to manually fix things. Also Linux Mint 11 was exponentially slower than Windows 7 when it came to finding network connections and establishing them. Not sure why. (Though there are a ton of things I like much much more in Linux than Windows 7. Specifically managers (Package, Update, etc..).
RedString
New User
New User
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm
([msg=63001]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI.


This is a really, really, really opinionated statement. In my opinion Linux has a better GUI, and CLI, than Windows does. Then again, Windows has a fairly intuitive GUI also, and it's CMD can handle _most_ operations that's needed by the average consumer that want's to feel like a hacker -cough- HackForums -cough-.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only.


This is really based on what you're going to be doing. If you plan to do some mild gaming, that WINE heavily supports, there is no reason to choose Windows over Linux. In fact, if that's the OP's case, I would highly discourage him from Windows. Linux can run faster than Windows, takes up less space, is free, is open source, has a shit-ton of different distros, and is safer. The only reasons I could see to NOT use Linux are; love Windows, afraid of change, a huge gamer, or have incompatible hardware (I'm looking at you 802.11b...).

Also, why does it have to be in text mode? Linux still runs faster than Windows does when using a GUI.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by VPR3 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm
([msg=63004]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

I would say install a linux distro and VM windows7. I think Windows 7 is to big, bulky, consumes too many resources. And it grows larger with every incarnation.
VPR3
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 pm
([msg=63005]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Also, why does it have to be in text mode? Linux still runs faster than Windows does when using a GUI.


It doesn't. I was just saying what I'd do and giving my advice. Obviously none of us are going to be right. It's not a right or wrong kind of question. The OP just wanted some feed back on which one was better. This was opinionated from the get go. However, I will answer your question as I see it. I prefer text mode only because I use ssh and use dual screens on one pc. I moved to linux and away from windows to get away from the GUI. Simply because you can do more with the command line than the GUI. I'm glad I did and continue to learn it also, way worth it.

People say windows 7 is slow and takes up a lot of space. That is biased. It wouldn't be with an i7 processor and TB hard drive. Just like certain video games can't be played on certain pc's because of hardware related issues ie: video card, processor, sound card etc... The same goes for running newer versions of OS's, especially Windows. I turn on my win7 box, log in and am on the internet in less than a minute.
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm
([msg=63078]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

thanks im going to go with linux is their anything i will need to learn for it ?
i.e any languages or so on...
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by centip3de on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:32 pm
([msg=63080]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:thanks im going to go with linux is their anything i will need to learn for it ?
i.e any languages or so on...


No, but you should learn how to navigate around on the Terminal.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by edone automaton on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:45 pm
([msg=63083]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

centip3de wrote:No, but you should learn how to navigate around on the Terminal.


Here is a site which is very helpful: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

"A beginners guide to the Unix and Linux operating system. Eight simple tutorials which cover the basics of UNIX / Linux commands."
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
User avatar
edone automaton
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by kriss3d on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 am
([msg=72279]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

Windows certainly have its advantages. However I often find myself in places doing things where i curse on the inside because of Windows shortcommings.

When it comes to things such as parsing the output from one program into a file or another or looping a task. Linux is just so much easier.

Id say Have a partition with Windows and another with a good linux. For ease id either go with Debian (which Ubuntu is based on) or as I did. Pick apart a ubuntu and dump unity to get gnome 3. Then remastersys it back into a distro you can hand out or reinstall if need be.
kriss3d
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by centip3de on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm
([msg=72283]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

kriss3d wrote:Windows certainly have its advantages. However I often find myself in places doing things where i curse on the inside because of Windows shortcommings.

When it comes to things such as parsing the output from one program into a file or another or looping a task. Linux is just so much easier.

Id say Have a partition with Windows and another with a good linux. For ease id either go with Debian (which Ubuntu is based on) or as I did. Pick apart a ubuntu and dump unity to get gnome 3. Then remastersys it back into a distro you can hand out or reinstall if need be.


This post is well over a year old, please don't necro old posts.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: linux or windows

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm
([msg=72328]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
kriss3d wrote:Windows certainly have its advantages. However I often find myself in places doing things where i curse on the inside because of Windows shortcommings.

When it comes to things such as parsing the output from one program into a file or another or looping a task. Linux is just so much easier.

Id say Have a partition with Windows and another with a good linux. For ease id either go with Debian (which Ubuntu is based on) or as I did. Pick apart a ubuntu and dump unity to get gnome 3. Then remastersys it back into a distro you can hand out or reinstall if need be.


This post is well over a year old, please don't necro old posts.


Not to mention the op has surely made a choice by now. Going to lock thread.
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Previous

Return to Operating Systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests