Downloading stuff 4 slackware?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Downloading stuff 4 slackware?

Post by jbshook on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 am
([msg=61689]see Downloading stuff 4 slackware?[/msg])

So this is my first post on this site :)...thanks everybody also, this site is amazing, so much information in one spot... I decided last night to toss windows, so I tossed it for linux...wiped the hdd and installed slackware...just downloaded it last night and went to school throughout the day and got home a few hours ago and been trying to configured the network stuff which i finally got done successfully...Im not to computer savvy bc im mainly used to windows which does everything for you, but ive been reading about everything and trying to learn and ive learned so much...ive noticed obviously that linux is a whole lot different than windows lol...its less user friendly, at least to me it is bc this is my first time using it and im not used to the whole terminal thing just yet... which is good because it forces me to learn...anyways, ill get to the point...How do I download stuff? I tried downloading something and got it downloaded I guess but I never could find anything to open it with...everything ive been reading about downloads stuff from terminal which idk how to do so I was hoping somebody could briefly explain or point me in the right direction of somewhere that will explain...Thanks Blake p.s. sorry its so long
jbshook
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Downloading stuff 4 slackware?

Post by mShred on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm
([msg=61709]see Re: Downloading stuff 4 slackware?[/msg])

It depends on what you're trying to download. if you're trying to install something, then every OS usually has its own commands for downloading and installing: yum, apt-get, pacman, whatever. But if you wanna manually do it, then you need to download the fil, usually in .tar.gz format. From there you need to unpackage it. I'm on my phone so I can't link very well. Try Googling "installing .tar.gz" or "untarring file" or whatever. That should do you good. Then from there, you'll have to run the config or make install shit, depending on what it is. Try googling something like "how to install packages in Slackware" for a better, brief overview.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Operating Systems