Suse Linux programming

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Suse Linux programming

Post by ojo_negro on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 pm
([msg=58565]see Suse Linux programming[/msg])

So I'm using the current version of Suse Linux and I can't get it to compile any programs. Right noe the most important to me is Java and when I type Javac into the terminal it responds command not found. Yes I have checked and Java is installed on my computer. Any suggestions?
ojo_negro
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Suse Linux programming

Post by centip3de on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 pm
([msg=58569]see Re: Suse Linux programming[/msg])

ojo_negro wrote:So I'm using the current version of Suse Linux and I can't get it to compile any programs. Right noe the most important to me is Java and when I type Javac into the terminal it responds command not found. Yes I have checked and Java is installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

As I am more of a Windows programmer, and don't play around on Linux as much as I should, I can only give you help for things that helped me on Windows, with hopes that they will correspond to your problems.

I had the same problem when I was first learning Python and trying to compile it in Command Prompt, I solved the problem by "cd"ing into the Python directory, then trying to run the command again. See if that helps.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:27 am
([msg=58579]see Re: Suse Linux programming[/msg])

Fucking same shit happened to me on my Windows partition just last week. I've never really messed with Java, but I thought I'd try. Couldn't get it to compile shit so i tried reinstalling a 64 bit version, and it fucked everything up. Long story short I ended up just using Ubuntu.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 am
([msg=58581]see Re: Suse Linux programming[/msg])

You need to make sure it's in your environment variables, if it's not, it won't know the command.

This should help: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-l ... ables.html
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by ojo_negro on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm
([msg=58630]see Re: Suse Linux programming[/msg])

Ok so I changed my enviroment variables with the link you gave me and it is the same response as before. Could it be that my Java is in my root folder and I need to change my permissions to access it?
ojo_negro
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 pm
([msg=58635]see Re: Suse Linux programming[/msg])

I think it should be in /usr/bin something... that's usually where it is.
How did you install it?
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Operating Systems