Debian or XP

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Debian or XP

Post by VPR3 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:18 pm
([msg=58346]see Debian or XP[/msg])

Looking to install a new Linux OS, I'm thinking Debian or Linux XP. I've seen comments on Debian, but has anyone used Linux XP?
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Debian or XP

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 pm
([msg=58347]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

I've never tried it personally but it doesn't look bad. It's obviously not one of the major distributions so I'm not sure how up to date it stays compared to something like Debian.

If you're looking for a new distro to try and out and are interested in learning some stuff along the way, I alway highly suggest Arch Linux. Fast, and fun. 8-)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by VPR3 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 pm
([msg=58470]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

I think I'll go with your suggestion really looking for something without all the fat and fluff. I've got Windows 7 Enterprise, I get it free, but it seems like windows gets bigger, more bloated and a little more useless with each version.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm
([msg=58475]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

If you're stuck to a binary choice between Debian and Linux XP, I suggest you stick to Debian. In my opinion, distros with lower popularity tend to lack proper support and proper communities. In the event that you have a problem, it would be hell to find a solution as the OS does not have much coverage.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:06 pm
([msg=58486]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

I can give you a 99% guarantee that if you go with Arch as a way to try a new Linux distro, you will NOT be disappointed.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by jpmut on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:26 am
([msg=58647]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

I'm going to give Arch a try as Ubuntu is becoming too "heavy" for my old computer. fashizzlepop, I just read that it's package manager doesn't have package signing, isn't this a serious security threat?
The philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell was asked, "If a false premise can imply any conclusion, use 1 = 2 to prove you're the Pope!" Russell replied, "The Pope and I are two, so we are one."
jpmut
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:10 am
([msg=58685]see Re: Debian or XP[/msg])

I wouldn't call it "major." I have never had a problem with it and I haven't heard of anyone else.

If you use an official Repo you should be fine.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Operating Systems