Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?

Post by Conkmasta-Flex on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:13 pm
([msg=5359]see Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

I have a partitioned (80% of my storage is directed to OS X and 20% is directed to Windows XP) Intel based Macbook Pro that is working out great for me. However, I would like to try my hand at a linux-based operating system. I will be scrapping my OS X-Windows partition and re-partitioning to accommodate for the linux os. As I am fairly new to this, I would like a system that is user friendly, but I also don't want to be spoon fed. My goal is to learn.

So far I know of Fedora, openSUSE, DebianGNU/Linux and Ubunto. Is there anything I should know before jumping head first into this? Suggestions? Advice?

Also, I hope to eventually spend most/all of my time on the new operating, but I would also like to ease the transition. If you were me, where would you split your resources? Thanks.
Conkmasta-Flex
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?

Post by bjvanwash on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:19 am
([msg=5405]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

In my opinion, I found that Fedora Core was pretty user friendly. When I started using it, I didn't know much at all about linux. I learned quite a bit on my own by going to my nearest bookstore, surfing the web, and by hands on experience with my dual boot of XP and FC3. I'm sure there are other distros that might be better, but like I said, in my opinion FC3 worked well for me before trying something new. Good luck!
bjvanwash
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Conkmasta-Flex on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:01 pm
([msg=5753]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

Thanks. I think I'll check it out.
Conkmasta-Flex
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:13 pm
([msg=5837]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

Ubuntu ftw! :P
No seriously, Ubuntu hardy heron...
Right now I'm on Xandros. I'm proud to say it's my primary OS, I use it more than Windows. :D
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Conkmasta-Flex on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm
([msg=5863]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

I just heard that Fedora uses rpm whereas ubuntu does not.. I don't even know what this means (rpm = rates per minute?), but is it something that I should think about?
Conkmasta-Flex
New User
New User

Post by brokin14 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:44 pm
([msg=6026]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

You're right - Fedora, openSUSE, and all red hat-based Linux distributions utilize rpm installation ("redhat package management"). Ubuntu, Debian, etc., all use .deb package management (deb => "debian", of course). There are ongoing debates between .rpm and .deb and their superiority; however, as this remains an undecided issues, it really shouldn't play a huge role into your decision, unless you're accustomed to a certain package management system prior (however, you're new to Linux, so that wouldn't be a problem).

For example, I've used Mandriva, Fedora, openSUSE (I'm on 11.0 currently), Debian, Kubuntu, Slackware (which uses neither rpm or deb, but the standard .tgz format). It's all preference.

If you want my opinion, the best choices for new Linux users would be anything with a friendly [G]UI. Ubuntu/Kubuntu/etc, SUSE, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and Mandriva would all be good suggestions. However, as I've said, it's all preference.
brokin14
New User
New User

Post by raphuss on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 am
([msg=6054]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

well to start with i'm a linux user and i'm using 3 distros and the windows. :mrgreen:
okay my best is:Backtrack (it's based on slax(slackware) it's not that hard but it needs some konsole writing when install it on ur HD).
the second is ubunto:this one i'm using it because it's simple to manipulate(i want to teach my littel sis linux so i've installed Ubunto) it's good and simple and it's the best to start ur story with linux,also it support the rpm packages just install its codec.
and the last one is vector linux:it's a light distro and it have vesa as the default desktop envirement.

final note:if u r habituated with MAC shell commands u want get any Pb with linux because both of them r based on UNIX.

RaPhUsS
raphuss
New User
New User

Post by neurophobic on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:04 pm
([msg=6536]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

if you are looking to just drop into linux and use it as an everyday OS like windows; install ubuntu, it is currently the easiest linux to use in my experience and from what others who ive had use it have told me. (fedora and suse, okay as well, not as freindly to me at least though)

However, if you acctually want to learn how to use the operating system to its full potential then grab a minimal Gentoo disc and take the time to build your system from scratch... its kind of a trial by fire.
neurophobic
New User
New User

Post by The Lieutenant on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 pm
([msg=7713]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

I would suggest Ubuntu as well coming from a fellow Linux noob, I must say it is very user friendly. And much better then Windows or OSX
The Lieutenant
New User
New User

Post by Static-Oblivion on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:40 pm
([msg=7793]see Re: Which linux distribution would you recommend to a beginner?[/msg])

When looking into package management systems one is going to want to use the one with the most useful repositories for his/her taste.
You also need to be considering what type of gui you are going to be using as each one has different software that is compatible with each most programs can run on most giu's or at least be recoded/converted to run on said gui.
Something to look into first is what will be more comfortable using there is gnome which closely resembles Windows gui.
Then you have KDE which is largely popular amongst linux user.
You have flux-box which is a minimalistic gui for high end power users and may sometimes be better for box's that need to be able to have more resources free due to it's limitations.
There others but these are the most common also some people (although I would not recommend it to a new user)Who simpley use the CLI (Command line interface)
Remember that no matter what you use you will eventually have to use the CLI and it is recommended that you learn bash scripting or at least get the basics of bash commands down so that it isn't a culture shock when you start using it.
There is a website that I recommend you visit that can give you basics of the bash prompt here:http://www.linux.org/lessons/
I hope this helps.
Static-Oblivion
New User
New User

Next

Return to Operating Systems