Best starting point?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Best starting point?

Post by acevic on Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 pm
([msg=57476]see Best starting point?[/msg])

I would like to start learning computer security for professional implementation. Just thought I'd get some idea about the subject before I enroll for a professional course. For pentesting, most recommend linux...I am originally a windows user, checked out a few linux distros here and there and I think linux is quite a steep learning curve. Correct me if I'm wrong but Ubuntu is apparently rated the easiest to use and BT is rated as the best for professional pentesting...for my field could anyone suggest what to start with (best in terms of ease of use and learning efficiency)? I am okay with learning anything as long as it is effective for my course.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Best starting point?

Post by mShred on Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm
([msg=57479]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

Well for Ubuntu, a lot of people find it nice to use. I myself use Ubuntu. But that's all about preference. As for Backtrack, it's not necessarily the best for pentesting. It just comes equipped with all of the shit you'd like to use for it. You can put all of the same packages on a lot of Linux distros and a lot are even ported to Windows. It's mostly about preference. Best thing to do is to try them.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by acevic on Tue May 17, 2011 2:10 am
([msg=57480]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

mShred wrote:Well for Ubuntu, a lot of people find it nice to use. I myself use Ubuntu. But that's all about preference. As for Backtrack, it's not necessarily the best for pentesting. It just comes equipped with all of the shit you'd like to use for it. You can put all of the same packages on a lot of Linux distros and a lot are even ported to Windows. It's mostly about preference. Best thing to do is to try them.

I have done my homework before posting this on this forum and the best distros for ease of use were apparently Debian and Ubuntu. Backtrack, as you mentioned is well known because of the software bundles and all. Either ways, I need best of both worlds in terms of relative ease of learning and efficiency...its funny how I never get any hands for windows. Everybody has something against it but nobody is ever specific as to what is wrong. About trying...been there, done that mate :)...could not make much of a conclusion...cant go in depth on all distros you know...but I will take the advice of the majority and dive into Ubuntu. Thank you mShred :) your reply is appreciated.
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Vulpine on Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm
([msg=57496]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

Since you're looking at pen-testing, you may want to setup your own pen-testing lab. Something simple and free, as in that article, should be more than sufficient for starting to learn.

There are also some virtual images that are specifically made for learning pen-testing. I'll try to remember to post some links for you when I get home.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Dwere134 on Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 am
([msg=57523]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:There are also some virtual images that are specifically made for learning pen-testing. I'll try to remember to post some links for you when I get home.

linkpls?
I'd be interested in checking that out too. I actually just installed Virtualbox because of the link you posted, so I'd love images designed specifically for pen-testing etc.
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Vulpine on Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm
([msg=57525]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

Dwere134 wrote:linkpls?

Sorry about that. I'm easily distracted...

Holynix
De-ICE
Metasploitable
There's also Damn Vulnerable Linux, which is often mentioned here. You should be able to find that one on most torrent sites.

Far from comprehensive, but I'll try to dig up more that I've seen here and there.

Some of these recommend VMWare, but VirtualBox should work. If not, you can download VMWare Player or Server for free from their website. You can also snag a free copy of their hyper-visor, which is tits.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Sun May 22, 2011 2:56 am
([msg=57651]see Re: Best starting point?[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:
Dwere134 wrote:linkpls?

Sorry about that. I'm easily distracted...

Holynix
De-ICE
Metasploitable
There's also Damn Vulnerable Linux, which is often mentioned here. You should be able to find that one on most torrent sites.

Far from comprehensive, but I'll try to dig up more that I've seen here and there.

Some of these recommend VMWare, but VirtualBox should work. If not, you can download VMWare Player or Server for free from their website. You can also snag a free copy of their hyper-visor, which is tits.

Sorry I could not reply earlier, my internet connection went bust. Thank you for the pointers vulpine, they are very helpful :)....I will be diving in right away!
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Return to Operating Systems