openSUSE

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

openSUSE

Post by Anima_Liber on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 am
([msg=5121]see openSUSE[/msg])

The most popular linux flavor in Europe and my favorite too. Very user friendly without loss of "unix power". what do you think about that one?
Anima_Liber
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: openSUSE

Post by gladiador22 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:42 pm
([msg=5217]see Re: openSUSE[/msg])

is true.. when i was in school we where using SUSE and fedora... know i use open SUSE MONO is a new OS used in Europe.. is cool i like it....has any one else try it... ?
gladiador22
New User
New User

Post by yourmysin on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:43 pm
([msg=6102]see Re: openSUSE[/msg])

I've never really cared for open suse. I've tried it on several occasions but I just can't get into it.
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by nathandelane on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm
([msg=6258]see Re: openSUSE[/msg])

Open Suse is a relatively nice operating system. The package manager makes it easy to install new software, and the look and feel defaults to KDE, which is good for users switching from Windows, though I know you can also use GNOME by default if you like. Here's the thing about Linux though - it's nice to have a cool, easy to use window manager like KDE and GNOME, but the key to learning Linux is knowing the command line/text mode stuff og Linux. So as soon as you get to the login screen press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F1 to get to tty0, now log in with your credentials. Two things now, never log in as root and always use sudo for commands that you can't use unless you're root. If you don't have sudo set up, then Open Suse isn't very helpful, but you can set it up fairly easily. If you need help let me know. Otherwise you should be able to use your own password to access sudoed commands. This is one of the nice security features of both Fedora Core and Ubuntu. At first site, both may seem like they do too much for you or something, but if you don't know how to set up your Linux to be in user-mode, then your security may be severely compromised, simply because you're always using your root accout. The reality is, that it matters little which Linux you are using - the only differences really are the underlying filesystem structure and what types of packages are used to install new software, i.e. RPM or DEB. Linux is otherwise Linux - the commands should be the same and the basic operation should be the same.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by Anima_Liber on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:20 am
([msg=6343]see Re: openSUSE[/msg])

thanks for the post. i have some command-line knowledge, like protecting folders, creating users or groups, set up the ip adress, etc, but i feel that i'm becoming lazy with the simplified desktop. thanks for the keys combination :)
Anima_Liber
New User
New User

Post by sync350 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:46 pm
([msg=8802]see Re: openSUSE[/msg])

Switched to openSUSE after I kinda broke my Ubuntu system ;) Wanted to try something new so I installed this one, and I'm happy to say I love it :)
sync350
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems