LFS or Arch

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

LFS or Arch

Post by JustAnotherINTJ on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:58 pm
([msg=40712]see LFS or Arch[/msg])

I am new to the community and just getting started. From what I have read it seems to me one of my first priorities is getting linux and getting adjusted to it. I am currently using ubuntu just to learn. My question, to some of you with more experience, is where should I go from here as far as OS. I would like to move on from ubuntu once i have a strong foundation. Two of the leading distros people here seem to be in favor of are arch and LFS. Which route do some of you feel would be the best and why. What are some of the differences between the two and some advantages one has over another, or am I getting to far ahead of myself? Should I focus on building some of my other computer knowledge foundations first i.e. html, php, and so on first before worrying about moving on to a new distro?
Thanks for any advice.
JustAnotherINTJ
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: LFS or Arch

Post by Vulpine on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am
([msg=40713]see Re: LFS or Arch[/msg])

Always a pleasure to meet a fellow INTJ.

Anyways, Ubuntu is nice for beginners since it doesn't overwhelm you quite as much as some of the more "open" flavors do. I personally have not used Arch yet, nor LFS. However, LFS does seem like it would be extremely useful in learning the ins and outs of a Linux system. And if you're compiling it from source, it should be lightning fast. Which flavor you jump to next though, is entirely up to your tastes and curiosity. Personally, after Ubuntu, I went to Fedora 12, which had a ton of bugs out of the box, but ran like a champ when I worked them out. Some of the other members here have had favorable recommendations for Gentoo and Debian. You could even try this quiz that is supposed to help you identify the right flavor for you. Exploration is key. If you hear about a flavor that you haven't tried, read about it, and if it sounds interesting, try it out. There really is no right or wrong progression.

Wikipedia has a pretty big list of various flavors and some of their key differences, that may be worth your time checking out.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 am
([msg=40714]see Re: LFS or Arch[/msg])

I'm a real big fan of Ubuntu. I took to it right after I dealt with Fedora and after a few weeks of using it I liked it just as bit. The community I liked even more.

Vulpine touched on common criticisms of Ubuntu and the people who use it. Personally, until I come across some task that unequivocally cannot be done on Ubuntu, but is done easily on another distribution, I will stick with that which I know. The similarities between most versions of Linux are so staggering as compared to their respective differences that I really don't see the merit in even classifying some as more 'advanced' forms than others.

But I don't want to argue; my point is that you're not made a noob by using Ubuntu, nor are you made an expert by using obscure forms of Linux with more developers than users.

And before you switch, just answer the question I posited. What reason could you give for what can be done on another distribution of Linux that cannot be done on Ubuntu? (With or without hacking at it?)
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neuromanta on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 am
([msg=40716]see Re: LFS or Arch[/msg])

The most important question here is the same as always: what do you want to do? Do you want to use your computer to do programming, or research, or modeling, or webdesign, or things like that? Then Ubuntu is a perfect choice, You can do everything with it what you want. Or... do you want to be a linux/unix administrator, who can do anything with the system? That's a different matter...
Ubuntu is perfect to use linux, but not so perfect to learn it. It is modified in many ways, compared to other, more unix-like distros like slackware, gentoo or debian. If you want to learn linux, and linux system administration, then I suggest you try slackware. It's not so easy to use, but you'll learn much from it. Also, if you want a bit more challenge, try Gentoo. You'll learn many things just by installing it, and making it work.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by thetan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:58 am
([msg=40724]see Re: LFS or Arch[/msg])

silly original poster, you titled you're post wrong. It should of been "Debian or FreeBSD"

</blatant favoritism>
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Operating Systems