Mac?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Mac?

Post by Crystal_Bearer on Thu May 29, 2008 6:04 am
([msg=3493]see Mac?[/msg])

I almost fear the rebuke coming from the windows world, but.... "Mac." I'm a fan of what I call 'programmers' OS's', but as a whole rounded system, I prefer a good Mac any day. At the end of the day, Mac (with intel), can do all windows can do, and more. Also... the mac makes a good front while you run windows-based infiltration software underneath as a virtual ip (legal, of course :roll: ) Anyway... why don't you give your opinion?
Crystal_Bearer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mac?

Post by Aquina on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:42 am
([msg=3889]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

From a dev standpoint of view Macs and MacOS (*BSD) is not my first choice. Windows on a Mac doesn't make sense to me since I thnk it devalues the originally good platform. I prefer GNU/Linux and BSD or Plan9 (Inferno is also interesting for devs). I also need x86 becaus it is so widespread.
Aquina
New User
New User

Post by Jimmy_Riddle on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:19 pm
([msg=5516]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

Mac's are Ok, but, I bought one a few years back paid 699 for it, over christmas I spilt wine on the keyboard, price quoted direct from apple for a new screen (this was the part that went fizzle and pop!) 675.

Nice to know the HD, the Airport Card and the Motherboard where only worth about 15 bucks!

Since it happened I've bought one other mac and that was second hand for 175 and it came preloaded with OSX 10.2 upgrades for 10.2 Jaguar to 10.3, nope thats a pipe dream, they dont support it, just like they dont support OS9 anymore, long story short its now got a new HD and 512MB of RAM and is running Slackware 12.1, get another Mac. . Not a chance! :|
Jimmy_Riddle
New User
New User

Post by T3hR34p3r on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:36 am
([msg=6434]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

Well, I'm a gearhead. Hardware, overclocking, that sort of thing, so OS's and software aren't really my strong-suit. So, the only advice I could really give would be from the prebuilt Mac computers. The prebuilt systems that Mac produce are quite honestly: shit. Not to say that the OS isn't that good or that bad, for all I know the Macintosh OS could be made of candycanes and rainbows. But if you're going to buy a prebuilt system, do yourself a favor and buy a PC, THEN put OSX into it.
They call me Ishmael... I'm not sure why.
T3hR34p3r
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by nathandelane on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm
([msg=6481]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

I'll give you a good opinion - I love Macintosh. I especially admire the built in AppleScript engine, that allows you to automate nearly everything on the Mac, even write full-out programs. I don't own a Mac because I just don't have any money, but if I did, I would. I even admire that it comes pre-loaded with GNU tools, like gcc and g++ as well as a decent web-server, not just a stupid add-on server (IIS). I also like Safari way over IE, but Firefox/Camino still rock. And you can install almost any Linux software using the GNU-tools, and tons of BSD software + the fact that it's BSD makes it a pretty secure system on it's own AND they default to user-mode, which keeps you from screwing or unsecuring your system too badly. Windows Vista has user-mode, but it's randomly annoying (built that way on purpose according to Steve Balmer).

Anyway, I think it's awesome that you're using a Mac - I don't know what I think about using parallels to run Windows - if I could I would try and get completely away from Windows. That's my opinion though.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by White-Rabbit on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:04 pm
([msg=12366]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

I am currently i the process of selling my macbook (I have this and my pc) which I thought would be quite a good little notebook for college and work. The macbook is really good, I love the GUI and how sleek everything is and how smooth it runs. The problem is the price I paid for it 699 + 30 for memory upgrade. Seems silly now but I'm a sucker for the white case.
Anyway, overall a very good home pc (If a little expensive. although they do hold there value) but if your doing anything more advance just buy a pc or even better build your own and create different partitions/boot drives for XP, OSX (Can be done, look it up) and linux. (NOT Vista, never, never vista) :o

And if your really annoyed with the way windows xp looks, you can skin it anyway.
C++ is a loaded machine gun pointed at your feet with the safety off.
White-Rabbit
New User
New User

Post by The Lieutenant on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:42 pm
([msg=12985]see Re: Mac?[/msg])

Okay I didn't see the point in starting a new thread for this, but I have a question. I need to get a new computer, and I was wondering about imacs. I usually build my desktops, but I have been thinking about trying an imac, If I got one depending on what I thought of OS X I might dual boot OS X, and Debian or I might just install Debian on it. So I just wanted to know if getting an imac would be a good idea.
The Lieutenant
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems