Newbies

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Newbies

Post by Sophist on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:17 pm
([msg=29900]see Newbies[/msg])

Hey if you are new like me and you are unsure on which OS to use one thing I did was dual boot Debian and Win XP. I downloaded Debian through Utorrent off of the main site and burned it to a disk. I had a spare 20 gig hdd and that is where I installed Debian. It was really easy to do because the program did everything for me. It found my drive with XP on it and installed GNU GRUB which is a multiboot loader. So when my system started after the install I got to choose which one to use. So I would strongly recommend Debian if you would like to use Windows and Linux.
Sophist
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Newbies

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:41 am
([msg=29911]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

To hell with Windows, overwrite it with Linux. You won't look back, I certainly didn't.
When I got my last laptop, the thought of keeping Windows just didn't really occur to me. Why on earth would I do that? Mucking around with partitions usually ends up with you using the Windows one the majority of the time because it's such a pain to reboot into a different OS once you're already in WIndows.
I recommend to everyone that they get an old (or new) box and stick Linux on it. It's far more fun to run it for real, rather than sharing it with other crap.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Sophist on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:03 pm
([msg=29941]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

I would if I wasn't addicted to my Steam games. When I get my laptop I plan on it being Linux. I also might build a new machine in a couple of months. It all depends on me getting a job though. :(
Sophist
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:27 pm
([msg=29950]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

Sophist wrote:I would if I wasn't addicted to my Steam games. When I get my laptop I plan on it being Linux. I also might build a new machine in a couple of months. It all depends on me getting a job though. :(

I was too, then I realised I was wasting too much time gaming so gave my account away. Very glad I did so.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by godofcereal on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 pm
([msg=29956]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

I got my main comp up again and my college course involves a year(or so) of linux, should I bother putting it on my main comp, getting rid of XP?
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by mackrazy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 pm
([msg=29957]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

You could just make another partition and dual boot.... that way u could have both

Mack
mackrazy
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 pm
([msg=29958]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

Youd think that but I got a small HDD. Il throw it on my back up comp.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Obi Don Juan on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm
([msg=35659]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

I'm considering myself a n00b right now, seeing as how I took almost 8 years off from Unix-based operating system and anything productive with a computer. The only commands I'd been able to remember is apt-get and ls, dir, etc. Yeesh, big learning curve for the first few days. Anyways, I know one thing is for sure - you can't live without windows entirely, so I'd, "X" those purist's remarks. It'll save you a bit of a nuisance later, when you have to repartition and throw windows on later...

For my system I chose the bare-bones winders root, I gave it 20 gigs and linux partition got 230 altogether.

And as far as a distro, I'd say Ubuntu for it's ease of use and pretty much instant hardware recognition, but. If you want to learn I'd say LFS, it'll really pound in those commands into your head and learn you them ping'uns real good.

In those 8 years someone stole my idea for a distro called, "Dild/os"
Digression Di*gres"sion, n. [L. digressio: cf. F. digression.]
1. The act of digressing or deviating, esp. from the main
subject of a discourse; hence, a part of a discourse
deviating from its main design or subject.
Obi Don Juan
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm
([msg=35660]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

Obi Don Juan wrote:I'm considering myself a n00b right now, seeing as how I took almost 8 years off from Unix-based operating system and anything productive with a computer. The only commands I'd been able to remember is apt-get and ls, dir, etc. Yeesh, big learning curve for the first few days. Anyways, I know one thing is for sure - you can't live without windows entirely, so I'd, "X" those purist's remarks. It'll save you a bit of a nuisance later, when you have to repartition and throw windows on later...

For my system I chose the bare-bones winders root, I gave it 20 gigs and linux partition got 230 altogether.

And as far as a distro, I'd say Ubuntu for it's ease of use and pretty much instant hardware recognition, but. If you want to learn I'd say LFS, it'll really pound in those commands into your head and learn you them ping'uns real good.

In those 8 years someone stole my idea for a distro called, "Dild/os"

Let's let this topic die :P

[By the way...I hope the dild/os thing was a joke...:P]

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm
([msg=35663]see Re: Newbies[/msg])

Yeah Obi Don Juan, while input is appreciated, try to pay attention to the dates of the posts.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Operating Systems