Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that

Post by Bailey18 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 pm
([msg=27649]see Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

What Operating system would I use to learn to hack? Like the good hacking...
Bailey18
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that

Post by Wootz on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 am
([msg=27650]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

You could use any OS to hack, it doesn't really matter, but for what it's worth I learned a lot more through using *nix than I did through windows. If I were you I'd make a LiveCD and run off of that for a while, see how you like it.

Fair warning, though, if you do go to *nix (I'd start with Ubuntu or Linux Mint) assume you know nothing. That'll help you get into the learning mindset (I had a friend who treated linux the same as windows, boy was he PISSED) and make sure you learn how to use the shell effectively, you'll be glad you did.
Wootz
New User
New User

Post by Tentra on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:27 am
([msg=27655]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

Bailey18 wrote:Like the good hacking...

What do you mean by "good hacking"?
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:43 am
([msg=27657]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

Are you comfortable with changing your OS? If not then stick with windows.
If you want to change then get Ubuntu, you can download a program called Wubi that will instal everything for you.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Wootz on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm
([msg=27670]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

Tentra wrote:
Bailey18 wrote:Like the good hacking...

What do you mean by "good hacking"?

Pretty sure he means just hacking in general, not just social engineering someone's myspace password off of them or downloading some exploits. He wants to learn what there is to know about hacking.
Wootz
New User
New User

Post by Bailey18 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:06 pm
([msg=27676]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

Wootz Is right..thats what I mean by good hacking..and um..this makes no since to me..do any of you have links to where I can download these?

And by the way, Im a girl..
Bailey18
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm
([msg=27681]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boo ... Wubi.shtml
Wubi

@Wootz, you can do that from windows.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Wootz on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:46 pm
([msg=27769]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Wubi.shtml
Wubi

@Wootz, you can do that from windows.

I know, if you read my first post I already said that :P but I was just suggesting a linux distro, because I learned a lot about the fundamentals of computer technology through having to use the BASH shell to do all my work, plus if you create a liveCD (if you're interested I'll teach you how) and run that so you don't have to switch your computer to linux in order to use linux.
Wootz
New User
New User

Post by b0r15 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:53 pm
([msg=28325]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

Bailey18 wrote:Wootz Is right..thats what I mean by good hacking..and um..this makes no since to me..do any of you have links to where I can download these?

To really get the most out of your OS you will need Linux. You can get the Ubuntu Linux Iso w/ Wubi from hxxp://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download . Dont be intimidated by it has a graphical userface just like Wind0ze..plus a shell you can do all sorts of fun stuff with :D

And by the way, Im a girl..

Cool, theres nothing hotter then a hacker chick. Good luck and I hope you give Linux a chance.
Basic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11)
Realistic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (7) (9) (10) (12) (13)
Application: (1) (2) (3)
Programming: (1)
Javascript: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
Extbasic: (1)
b0r15
New User
New User

Post by k01db00t on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm
([msg=30889]see Re: Im Really New to all of this coding and hacking and all that[/msg])

If you are still looking, go with a *nix system. To start with I go with Ubuntu, more user freindly especially if you are really used to Windoze. Then start trying out other *nix systems. There is litterally a million of them out there.
k01db00t
New User
New User

Next

Return to Operating Systems