Google OS 2010

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Google OS 2010

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm
([msg=26582]see Google OS 2010[/msg])

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/google-announces-chrome-os/

What do you guys think about it? They are apparently basing it off of the Linux Kernel and possibly modifying certain parts of it, while adding on plenty of their own innovations to the graphical side of it. It's supposed to be lightweight as well.

I personally really want to see what Google does with this, Microsoft and Apple have a way too big hold on the market, especially since neither is really that great of a company. Google, on the other hand, has always been much more "free" and open than M$ or Apple. Not to mention, this OS is totally open source, so I'm sure fixes they make towards the Linux Kernel will quickly be adapted into Linux.

I for one, am excited about this, even if it might start life as being a cloud based,corporate modified Linux Distro.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Google OS 2010

Post by godofcereal on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 am
([msg=26593]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

Yet another thing for Google to try and take over the world... I dont think it will be that big a hit, like is this going to attract any *Nix users? And by free and open you mean the gross into the hundred millions?
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:49 am
([msg=26597]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

What I mean is that when compared to Microsoft or Apple, both of which close up their operating systems to the point where it's practically impossible to modify them, Google is releasing it's OS totally open source.

It might not attract many *nix users, but it certainly would attract Windows users who are sick of windows, but don't want to waste money getting a Mac, and feel they don't have the experience to switch to Linux.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by tgoe on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 pm
([msg=27079]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

Microsoft had a similar strategy in tying their browser to Windows. Maybe things'll be different when it comes out of beta :)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wootz on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:53 pm
([msg=27152]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:Yet another thing for Google to try and take over the world... I dont think it will be that big a hit, like is this going to attract any *Nix users? And by free and open you mean the gross into the hundred millions?

I'm not buying into it, if not for the fact I have an extreme sense of distrust towards corporations as big as google. Call me paranoid :/
Wootz
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:15 pm
([msg=27164]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

Wootz wrote:
godofcereal wrote:Yet another thing for Google to try and take over the world... I dont think it will be that big a hit, like is this going to attract any *Nix users? And by free and open you mean the gross into the hundred millions?

I'm not buying into it, if not for the fact I have an extreme sense of distrust towards corporations as big as google. Call me paranoid :/

Agreed, they already know what we search and now what we do on our computers.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by TheGardener on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:13 pm
([msg=29223]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

Pretty much everything google has done they've excelled with but I think an OS is a little too much. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.
"Knowledge is BOUND when one is compelled to tradition. Knowledge is ENDLESS when tradition is bound." - EP
TheGardener
New User
New User

Post by Muskelmann098 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 am
([msg=29349]see Re: Google OS 2010[/msg])

When you search Google, they save your IP, your search question, and a personal identifiable cookie associated with both. They keep this in their records for 18 months. Now that's Privacy! ;)

But there's more... What if you register a Gmail address with you real name? Now they have a name to that IP, and an IP to your search question. If they come out with an OS, they will have that INCLUDING all the private stuff you have on your computer, and all this can be linked together, sold for profit, or stolen by a hacker :D .

Personally, I use http://ixquick.com for searching. It's metasearch so it will give you some other results that Google, and it's more or less anonymous. I suggest you sniff around. In addition, you might want to consider using Tor; http://torproject.org . This should make you RELATIVELY anonymous.
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Operating Systems