Ubuntu

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Ubuntu

Post by WackyRacer on Sat May 10, 2008 4:23 pm
([msg=2211]see Ubuntu[/msg])

I received my free Ubuntu disc today.
I haven't installed it yet but i ran it from the disc and it worked fine until i realised i had to reinstall flash player etc?
When i tried to install flash player i got three quarters of the way before it stopped working and i had to turn off my computer.
Is this because it was not fully installed on my computer or could this be because i have only 512mb of ram?

Also is 512mb of Ram enough to run both Windows xp and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition on the same computer with out either of the two running slower than usual?
WackyRacer
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ubuntu

Post by mushroom5698 on Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 am
([msg=2655]see Re: Ubuntu[/msg])

512 MB of ram should be plenty; the fact that you dual boot should have no effect on RAM consumption. Did an error come up? Or did it just stop?
mushroom5698
New User
New User

Post by griallia on Sat May 17, 2008 2:24 pm
([msg=2662]see Re: Ubuntu[/msg])

well, as mushroom said, ram is only memory the programs and other things that your computer uses when it's on.

I'm not sure what's going on, since I'm working with 7.10. 8.04 is new stuff, so like normal software, It's going to have bugs. I heard from someone that they were happy that 8.04 came with easy uninstall, it was really buggy, and it's more of an alpha then beta.

I guess I have one problem too, got a clue how to configure an internal USB Wireless driver for linux? It can detect the networks, but it won't connect.
griallia
New User
New User

Post by BlackCow on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:38 am
([msg=3981]see Re: Ubuntu[/msg])

For your flash problem go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Search for "flashplugin-nonfree" and see if the box is checked. If not select it and hit apply. If it is but its not working uncheck it to uninstall it and then install it again.
BlackCow
New User
New User

Post by _parad0x_ on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:53 am
([msg=3986]see Re: Ubuntu[/msg])

WackyRacer wrote:I received my free Ubuntu disc today.
I haven't installed it yet but i ran it from the disc and it worked fine until i realised i had to reinstall flash player etc?
When i tried to install flash player i got three quarters of the way before it stopped working and i had to turn off my computer.
Is this because it was not fully installed on my computer or could this be because i have only 512mb of ram?

Also is 512mb of Ram enough to run both Windows xp and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition on the same computer with out either of the two running slower than usual?

Running both XP and Ubuntu on your comp won't make a difference to your RAM consumption, as griallia has already stated.
Your RAM is only used when yor pc is on, and is used to run the OS and any apps you have running.
Although you can have more than one OS installed on your system (duel boot), you cannot run both OS's at the same time, so no, your RAM won't effect this.
The partition that Ubuntu converts your HDD to is different from the partition created to use XP, so try splitting your HDD into 2 partitions, and install Ubuntu on the fresh partition.
If the problem persists, I suggest formatting your machine and use Partition Manager to split the HDD, running XP on one half and Ubuntu on the other.

Hope this was helpfull :D
_parad0x_
New User
New User

Post by killertea on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:41 pm
([msg=4019]see Re: Ubuntu[/msg])

it should not matter, i am using Ubuntu 8.04 i downloaded it and then burned it to a CD and ran it from the CD, and it worked. it's like umm.. how can i say, yea lets say u only have so much space to use and when u go to download that thing it took all the space up, now if u where to install Ubuntu and then install the thing u tried to install before and it still does that then it's the CD thats bad.now if u can do this put the cd in and if u have it on the cd called partition editor then u can make a small room for ubuntu if u have over 50 gigs then u could do 50/50 i have 100 gigs so i have 50/50 one for Ubuntu and one for windows. i know i know i know window the devil computer. will lets get back to the reason.
u can partition a part of it and install ubuntu if it still does not work it's the cd, if it's the cd do what i did download it and then burn it to a dvd+r make sure it's a iso, and then try it again.

oh and i have windows xp and ubuntu 8.04 i have 512 just like him and it runs just fine, i think when one operating system is on that ram will go to that operating system, exp:

welcome to ubuntu 8.04512 ram is being used for this system

shutdown ubuntu 8.04

shutting down

booting up windows xp

booted up

welcome to windows xp Ubuntu is not on so i am going to use 512 ram

i think thats how it works, but i may be wrong, in fact let me call a friend of mine who works for some type of internet he works on wireless and weired, and doe's wireless code stuff like that and he fixes computer hes a computer tech. basically.

i'll ask him this and then i'll post it here.
yea ok i got to go now.
killertea
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems