Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?

Post by Roza1618 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm
([msg=22289]see Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

Sorry, I'm new, and I've got no idea how computers work, yet.

If you had Ubuntu on a laptop, will it be able to connect to networks/printers/routers/etc.etc..?

Also I heard something about WINE, is that any good? Can it run microsoft office?

Thanks in advance!
Roza1618
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?

Post by orwell84 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:46 pm
([msg=22290]see Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

Ubuntu can do most of the things Windows can. Allow me to explain.Windows is a proprietary Operating System, and it just so happens to be a widely used standard for applications. Therefore, a lot of programs that are also from businesses will be made for a Windows (or Macintosh) platform. Basically, if you're trying to run the Adobe suite from Ubuntu, you can forget about it. WINE, as far as I know, does not support it well, and Virtual Box doesn't have the best graphics based on what I've heard, which kills the Adobe suite, basically. There are other programs where this is true. I just used Adobe as an example.
However, there are many things you can do with Ubuntu that you can't do with Windows, or that you don't necessarily have to do with Windows. For example, I once read that a trained monkey could install a program on a Windows machine. Not so on a Linux distribution. You need to know what you're doing. It will be confusing at first (it still is for me sometimes) but eventually you'll be able to do it. Mind, on Ubuntu, there's something called the Synaptic Package Manager, which makes it easier to install things, but you can install manually. There are also command-line tools that are very useful. I'm not sure about them in Windows, but I'm sure that Windows doesn't come with the BASH shell, and you probably can't install it...
As for MS office, Ubuntu cannot run it, unless you use WINE or something similar. However, why would you? It comes with Open Office, which is essentially the same thing as MS Office but completely free and (I believe) open-source. That last part means that the source code for the program is publicly available. This probably doesn't mean much to you now, but if you want to learn how computers work, it will.
As for everything else you mentioned--connecting to networks, printers, routers, etc. of course it can. The good thing about networking is that it involves what's called abstraction, where it doesn't matter what platform you use. It might take some configuration (as with installation) but you'll get it and feel proud when it's done. I recently installed Ubuntu on an EeePC 901 and felt awesome when I figured out how to configure the WiFi.
Just as a final note, don't be sorry that you're new. Just be determined to learn more so that you're new for as little time as possible.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by fiftysixer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 pm
([msg=22293]see Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

Let me preface by saying that I prefer Windows XP over anything else for desktop use. Also, my desktop has Ubuntu 8.04 on it. Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Ubuntu is one of the easiest Linux distros out there. It's just as easy (sometimes easier) to install programs as it is in Windows. Just click on Applications->Add/Remove, and it's all there. And the default install comes with tons of programs already - OpenOffice, Firefox, media players, email, & more. It's designed for newbies in mind, and works rather well as an introductory Linux distro.

That said, Windows may be better suited, depending on your needs. I primarily use Windows for graphics work and games. Sure, there's some of that in Ubuntu, but it's not the same. WINE can be used to run Windows programs in Linux, but often there are compatibility problems. And there's a lot more choices when using Windows than there are under Linux - particularly in the sheer number of programs available for Windows, and the ease of installing them. EXE files are awesome.

However, if you're not working with graphics or playing games, Ubuntu might be better. It definitely seems faster, and it *is* a linux distribution (based on Debian), so if you want something thats more stable than Windows, or looking for learning Linux, Ubuntu may be better for you. I use it for coding, trolling IRC, web, typing stuff, watching movies, etc. It is a decent OS, regardless of what die-hard (and often naive) Linux fans will tell you.

So, bottom line is: Windows and Ubuntu are different. Pick one based on your needs.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Downie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm
([msg=74147]see Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

If your planing on playing games you won't get any good games as windows but software wise it can run software just not the windows version but on ubuntu i bet you will be able to find an alternative.
Downie
New User
New User

Post by Timeghost on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm
([msg=74152]see Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

Roza1618 wrote:Sorry, I'm new, and I've got no idea how computers work, yet.

If you had Ubuntu on a laptop, will it be able to connect to networks/printers/routers/etc.etc..?

Also I heard something about WINE, is that any good? Can it run microsoft office?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HackThisSite! community, first off. I just recently returned after an extended break, due to unfortunate circumstances, but it's certainly good to be back.

Will Ubuntu be suitable for your needs?

To answer your question, YES. Ubuntu /will/ be able to connect to networks/printers/routers/etc.
Sometimes, configuration is required, ranging from terribly easy to wanting to throw your computer out the window.

I have a good working knowledge of configuring modems to work with the internet with different services. My Facebook has a couple articles (I'll give them to you, if you'd like), written by me, elaborating on making different modems work, such as the USB727 modem from Verizon Wireless, and even some modems for Cricket Communications. While things of that nature are less common to see, the knowledge is still much needed. Setting up your internet connection, if it takes much configuration, should be something similar to the process involved with these modems. I doubt it could be much harder than that.

But if you decide to make the jump, try and stay updated with Ubuntu... My version recommendation is 12.04 LTS.
Timeghost
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm
([msg=74155]see Re: Ubuntu? can it do everything windows can?[/msg])

That post is almost 4 years old......
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Operating Systems