*nix difference

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

*nix difference

Post by eoae on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:54 am
([msg=13093]see *nix difference[/msg])

Hi, I have a question. There may be another post like this somewhere, anyways... :D

I want to know what is the main difference between all this different *nix. There is Linux, OpenSUSE, FreeBSD, Mac... etc. and all the different "flavors" of linux. What is the difference between all this different *nixes besides the GUI/Appearance??

PS: I'm still a noob :(
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." - Albert Einstein
"Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us." - Leo Tolstoy
eoae
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: *nix difference

Post by tgoe on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:52 pm
([msg=13117]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

GNOME/KDE/Xfce are sets of programs that create a desktop environment and aren't integrated with the underlying OS. FreeBSD+KDE vs Linux+KDE are largely identical from the desktop point of view. The differences are in the development process / licensing, kernel and userland tools (the commands you execute from a terminal). The Linux kernel and the GNU userland are separate projects developed independently that are combined by yet another project to create a GNU/Linux "flavor". The FreeBSD kernel, userland, packaging and distribution are handled by one project. The BSD Licensed code allows it to be modified and used in other OSes / programs without having to release the source code. This is where OSX gets its userland. From the userland point of view, the commands from the different projects serve the same purpose and work basically the same way. But there are differences: Different Linux flavors may ship with different versions of GNU utilities, the BSD version of 'foo' doesn't have the '-bar' option or vice versa, etc.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eoae on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:51 am
([msg=13159]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

so basically its just having different set of shell, kernal, tools?

Because there is always the discussion about which is the best. And the final answer is always "preference". So since about everything in the OS is open source, you can make a freeBSD look like a Ubuntu... right?
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." - Albert Einstein
"Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us." - Leo Tolstoy
eoae
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:08 pm
([msg=13180]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

Superficially, yeah. Just install the GNOME desktop on FreeBSD.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eoae on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:25 am
([msg=13241]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

If so, why is everyone arguing about which *nix is better(except Mac)? :| :?: Of course there is the get-used-to-it stage, then after that one should be able to change everything to suit their own needs.

Is there a bigger advantage of being developed by a commercial distribution i.e. RedHat :?:
eoae
New User
New User

Post by Dr_Phil on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:00 pm
([msg=13272]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

There are very much prestige in arguing about wich *nix system to use.
From the users view they all are pretty much the same.

But since the most people who uses *nix isn't just ordinary users, the OS can show pretty much about how you think.
One big thing is GNU GPL vs. BSD license.(I prefere GPL anyday! :) )
And there are so many flavours of Linux.
Some is good for servers, some for security, some for this and some for that.

I don't think there is any big advantage in using a commercial distribution.
I think the big advantage in Linux is pretty much the opposite actually..
Dr_Phil
Poster
Poster

Post by tgoe on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:35 am
([msg=13296]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

eoae wrote:If so, why is everyone arguing about which *nix is better(except Mac)? :| :?: Of course there is the get-used-to-it stage, then after that one should be able to change everything to suit their own needs.

Once you've found an OS you are comfortable with and have configured it to match your needs, you've spent time and energy and possibly money. Of course it's the best! :P

Is there a bigger advantage of being developed by a commercial distribution i.e. RedHat

The only real advantages I see here, is that you can rest assured that that flavor won't be toe-up next week and that it has people getting paid to do the grunt work of making it noob-friendly.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eoae on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:08 am
([msg=13383]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

The only real advantages I see here, is that you can rest assured that that flavor won't be toe-up next week and that it has people getting paid to do the grunt work of making it noob-friendly.

aahh... microsofting it... :D
eoae
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:28 pm
([msg=13756]see Re: *nix difference[/msg])

Well, i haven't seen any native ports of the BSoD :lol:
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Operating Systems