Which linux is best? and why?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Re: Which linux is best? and why?

Post by neuromanta on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:33 am
([msg=31178]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

It all depends on what do you want to do with it, and what do u want to learn from it. Ubuntu is good for starters, and for those, who only want to browse the internet, and watch videos, and listen to music, etc. It is good for professionals too. But if you want to learn about linux in general, I'd prefer slackware or gentoo.
The problem with ubuntu is that by using it, you don't learn linux... you learn ubuntu. Gentoo has it's own personalities, but more-or-less it's very Unix-like, and slackware is the most Unix-like linux distro.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Beno13 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am
([msg=37225]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

Well its ubuntu all the way, i recentally ugraded from windows xp to ubuntu 9.10 and its the best thing i ever did. Its completey user friendly and gives you complete control over the computer. I switched because its said to be easyer to program/hack, and it hasent faild yet! Ubuntu 9.10 all the way!
Beno13
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm
([msg=37230]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:The problem with ubuntu is that by using it, you don't learn linux... you learn ubuntu. Gentoo has it's own personalities, but more-or-less it's very Unix-like, and slackware is the most Unix-like linux distro.

This isn't really true. Sure, there's nice menus and all to make new users feel at home, but generally, if you ask for advice, or read any advice on their website/forum, you will get answers that pertain to firing up a terminal and doing it as you would in a distro such as slackware or gentoo.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:56 pm
([msg=37241]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:
neuromanta wrote:The problem with ubuntu is that by using it, you don't learn linux... you learn ubuntu. Gentoo has it's own personalities, but more-or-less it's very Unix-like, and slackware is the most Unix-like linux distro.

This isn't really true. Sure, there's nice menus and all to make new users feel at home, but generally, if you ask for advice, or read any advice on their website/forum, you will get answers that pertain to firing up a terminal and doing it as you would in a distro such as slackware or gentoo.

Actually, I agree with neuromanta. I've said the exact same thing before - you learn how to use Ubuntu, not Linux.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Oceans80 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:21 am
([msg=42672]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

gentoo looks like GNOME ubuntu
slackware looks like KDE ubuntu (kubuntu)

so what is the difference between GNOME/KDE ubuntu and gentoo/slackware

(i'm a n00b if nobody noticed lolol)
Oceans80
New User
New User

Post by Vulpine on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 am
([msg=42673]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

KDE and Gnome are desktop managers that sit on top of the Linux kernel. Kubuntu is going to look very similar to Slackware, out of the box, because they both use KDE. Fedora, I believe, uses the Gnome desktop, just like Ubuntu.

Some differences between the Linux flavors can be the particular purpose or goal of the developers, how the OS manages it's packages, the software that can be used (KDE vs Gnome, or both), offered support, etc. It really is mostly about personal taste. The key to finding one that you like is to just try as many as you can.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:11 am
([msg=42674]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:Fedora, I believe, uses the Gnome desktop, just like Ubuntu.

The version I used allowed you to choose which one you wanted during install. So you might see a Fedora system with KDE, another with Gnome, and a third with neither.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neuromanta on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 am
([msg=42729]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

Oceans80 wrote:gentoo looks like GNOME ubuntu

I wouldn't say that. Firstly, you can install any type of window manager to any distro. Secondly, there is no built-in window manager in gentoo, so you have to pick one on your own, and then install it by hand. So how come gentoo looks like GNOME ubuntu?
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by Oceans80 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 am
([msg=42934]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

Google Image search :oops: hahaha

I use SECmic 3 (secmic.org) its a security distro based on Kubuntu...I installed the GNOME though cause I like the way GNOME Is set up over KDE, I think I am going to go back to straight Ubuntu though because with all the security stuff that SECmic came with, when you put it in GNOME, it is kinda jumbled up...I dont know what most of the stuff does...so far, I've only used the aircrack, airodump, airmon, etc.

I did see a program called carwhisperer though and I looekd it up and it looks like it could be entertaining if I could learn how to use it, I htink that is gonna be my first project, learning carwhisperer hahah

Since Adam and Marcel were at Blackhat and DEFCON in Las Vegas, I had to do the 'Bluetooth Security' talk at What The Hack by myself (and the help of Collin).

After introducing the various Bluetooth security flaws (old and new ones) that were identified mainly by the trifinite.group also a new toool has been released.

This new toool is called The Car Whisperer and allows people equipped with a Linux Laptop and a directional antenna to inject audio to, and record audio from bypassing cars that have an unconnected Bluetooth handsfree unit running. Since many manufacturers use a standard passkey which often is the only authentication that is needed to connect.

This tool allows to interact with other drivers when traveling or maybe used in order to talk to that pushy Audi driver right behind you ;) . It also allows to eavesdrop conversations in the inside of the car by accessing the microphone.

Since the attacker's laptop is fully trusted once it has a valid link key, the laptop could be used in order to access all the services offered on the hands-free unit. Often, phonebooks are stored in these units. I am quite certain that there will be more issues with the security of these systems due to the use of standard passkeys.

Source: http://trifinite.org/blog/archives/2005 ... g_the.html
Oceans80
New User
New User

Post by Chazaq on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 pm
([msg=43145]see Re: Which linux is best? and why?[/msg])

So far I've been using Ubuntu just because that was on a disk I had from a magazine I got a few weeks ago. The main problem I have with it is that I don't feel like I'm learning much from using it. They have made it so accessible that it is too easy to just use it as is rather than fire up the terminal. I've tried and just need to dive in and not be lazy...but that's the thing, Ubuntu makes it too easy to be lazy I guess. I must say that I still like it better than Windows...I have a partition still for that but just for some games & stuff. That and in case I get completely lost and screw up my Linux partition I still have something I can use while I sort out the mess.
Chazaq
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems