Linux: What's the point?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Linux: What's the point?

Post by d_evans on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:18 pm
([msg=12472]see Linux: What's the point?[/msg])

I've been using Windows XP for 5 years now (I've refused to upgrade to Vista) and I'm considering switching to Linux (either Ubuntu or Debian). I know Ubuntu is for Linux newbies and Debian is a bit more advanced. The thing is(and the point of this topic), is it worth the hassle switching to Linux? I'm getting a new PC soon and I really don't want the trouble of looking for drivers. How much support does Linux (particularly Debian) have for graphics card drivers, Ethernet drivers etc..? Will Debian have the drivers pre-installed so I can, at least, access the internet?

Another thing, what is the point of switching to Linux from a hacker's perspective? I know you have more control over your computer and can fuck around with the code. Seems like a giant waste of time to me. XP has pretty much everything I need. Although it could be more customizable.

Thanks.
d_evans
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Linux: What's the point?

Post by myhexhax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:06 pm
([msg=12478]see Re: Linux: What's the point?[/msg])

Do you have direct, low-level access to hardware without having to use proprietary, low-compatibility drivers in XP?
Noooooooooooo~

I would say it's not worth it to you right now. Wait until you feel forced to upgrade to vista, and then make the switch. Or maybe when you have a hard drive crash or are going to format it, then possibly change over, because it *may* take some work to get running, and some aren't up for that.

There's decent support for drivers usually, although not all the time. Typically enough to get you running, although wifi support sometimes isn't as high as it should be (not relevant)

There are some nice things you can do though, and raw access to most things gives you alot of power..

Just my opinion though.
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Re: Linux: What's the point?

Post by beagle on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 pm
([msg=12491]see Re: Linux: What's the point?[/msg])

myhexhax wrote:Do you have direct, low-level access to hardware without having to use proprietary, low-compatibility drivers in XP?
Noooooooooooo~

I would say it's not worth it to you right now. Wait until you feel forced to upgrade to vista, and then make the switch. Or maybe when you have a hard drive crash or are going to format it, then possibly change over, because it *may* take some work to get running, and some aren't up for that.

There's decent support for drivers usually, although not all the time. Typically enough to get you running, although wifi support sometimes isn't as high as it should be (not relevant)

There are some nice things you can do though, and raw access to most things gives you alot of power..

Just my opinion though.

That's what I did. Once apon a time, I was using Windows 2000. It was horrible and handled memory terribly, but it did the job
Then, one day, It just stopped working. It refused to let me create files, created shortcuts going nowhere, and so on.
So I decided to start using Linux. So I went to my local bookstore and bought a book on Linux which happened to come with a Fedora Core disc. I installed it and I am happy now.
Moral of the story: Don't start using Linux for no reason. Only install it if you have a really good reason to.
That's my opinion, anyway.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Return to Operating Systems