Downloading Kali to USB: Question

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Downloading Kali to USB: Question

Post by BadNews01 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:51 am
([msg=94822]see Downloading Kali to USB: Question[/msg])

So, I'm having trouble getting a bootable live usb setup. Here's what I'm working with:
Surface Pro 4 - Windows 10
14GB Flashdrive
kali-linux-2017.2-amd64.iso (the iso image version I got from kali.org)
win32diskimager

First, I downloaded iso, then formatted USB to FAT32, ran win32 and wrote to flashdrive. I got a "Written Successful" at the end but immediately also got a windows message pop up in the back that said I had to "format the drive before using". Which I found odd but closed out and ignored.

The drive now shows up as TWO is this correct? It shows up as an unallocated drive and one that says it's a DVD with Desbian. I can even run it and it gives me an installation wizard. Whatever I ignored that and disconnected the drive, shutdown, reconnected, changed the boot sequence, and the surface boots up normally. Doesn't even notice the bootable.

I've deleted everything off the drive and reallocated all the space and did it again. I get the same exact errors. The message from windows right after a successful write and also the fact that it shows up as TWO drives one of them being a DVD.

Any help will be great. For now, I'm gonna reattempt the whole thing on a machine running windows 7 to see if I have a different outcome.

-- Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 am --

I may have solved my own problem. I tried running the bootable on a desktop and it works so the problem seems to be with my Surface Pro 4. I've determined there is a security section where it only allows things that are Microsoft Licensed. I've changed that and now it works.

The new problem is I got locked out and am dealing with BitLocker. I've gained access to my surface again and now am reading on this BitLocker nonsense to take the next course of action. Either disable or somehow reconfigure.

Long story short-progress is being made
BadNews01
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Downloading Kali to USB: Question

Post by Clippingpath77 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm
([msg=94849]see Re: Downloading Kali to USB: Question[/msg])

BadNews01 wrote:I may have solved my own problem. I tried running the bootable on a desktop and it works so the problem seems to be with my Surface Pro 4. I've determined there is a security section where it only allows things that are Microsoft Licensed. I've changed that and now it works

Good to know that you have solved your own problem. It feels great when we solve our own problem.
Clippingpath77
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Operating Systems