Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:08 pm
([msg=92660]see Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

So, here's the deal:

I heard of a pen-testing OS called Parrot and some people said it was better than Kali. I also heard of Tails and some people said it was also really good. Has anyone here heard of Parrot or Tails and what do you think of it? I looked at the home page and it seems interesting. Any opinions:

https://www.parrotsec.org/

https://tails.boum.org/

What do you think? How do they fair vs Kali?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails

Post by sybil on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:06 am
([msg=92662]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

I use Parrot as my daily rather than Kali simply because of the anonymity tools and services which are ready to go 'out-the-box'. Along with the fact I like MATE more than the new gnome. Other than that there isn't a huge difference between Kali and Parrot besides that obviously Kali is better documented and more popular because it has been around much longer, going back to Backtrack at its roots. Kali also has more packages available, I believe, but that isn't too big a deal unless you just love hoarding security software which you might not ever use more than once. I recommend you simply try them and their alternatives live on USBs. No better way to know if you'll like it unless you use it.

Regarding Tails, I'd say that's not intended for offensive security like the former lol that's more security and anonymity. Why I keep it in a Live USB and just upgrade it now and then, You could also look into Subgraph OS if you like Tails, or Qubes.

Mind you I've only been using security-focused distros for about three years and have plenty to learn about in cyber security. So that's the perspective I'm talking from.
sybil
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:16 pm
([msg=92663]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

but arguably aren't there a lot more tutorials for kali than parrot? could you do any kali tutorial on parrot?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jbraithwaite on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:24 am
([msg=92664]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

Use whatever gets the job done. I use Windows 7 & 10 and Kali. I know a lot of people that use Arch Linux too. Kali being the most popular is usually laughed at by hardened souls but whatever gets the job done.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 pm
([msg=92669]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

I personally had Parrot setup as my primary OS, for quite some time. I actually loved it quite a bit. I mean, it was pretty stable, had some awesome infosec tools out of the box, came with some anonymity stuff, I mean... It was good...

But then one day, I couldn't get any packages, I couldn't update shit, I literally was getting 404's from everything in /etc/apt/sources.list

I tried changing it to no avail... I waited, several weeks, actually... Nothing changed, still... So, I uninstalled that shit..
Went and installed Bodhi Linux, and I never regretted it since. Literally the most stable OS I've ever used with good support, you just have to install the infosec tools manually if you wish.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by L3XiC0N on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:25 pm
([msg=93034]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

I love Kali, but for some reason I can't get Tor to install. That's annoying.
L3XiC0N
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:59 am
([msg=93038]see Re: Kali vs. Parrot vs. Tails[/msg])

@LEXiCON, I understand your point. I had trouble with Tor at one point on Kali. You need some additional packages but that's ok.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Operating Systems