Windows 8 or 10?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Windows 8 or 10?

Post by whitewisdom on Sat May 21, 2016 4:20 pm
([msg=92335]see Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

Hi! Originally, my OS is windows 8 but then unfortunately, my hard drive was replaced and the technician upgraded it to windows 10. I was using 10 for about 4 months and so far, I was satisfied. I find it easier to use than windows 8. However, just recently, it crashed and i had to bring it to the repair shop again. And when it was returned to me, the technician told me to just stick with windows 8 because he was saying 10 has still a lot of issues to fix. Do you guys agree? What's your experience with 10?
whitewisdom
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows 8 or 10?

Post by mShred on Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm
([msg=92368]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

I actually no longer use windows. I still have it on my main box, but I never leave Ubuntu nowadays. I did use Windows 10 a little bit, but I can't say much regarding it because of how little I used both 8 and 10. That said, I haven't heard too much backlash from 10... So it is probably a safe bet to stick with 10. Although of course, I feel obligated to suggest checking out Linux. I'm not sure what you like to do on your box, but I can assure you that codez and pronz are much good on *nix.
For those about to hack, I salute you.
teehee
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Jbraithwaite on Wed May 25, 2016 2:23 am
([msg=92369]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

I've been using 10 since it came out. I skipped 8 because it felt like they done a Vista on us. Win10 is what Win7 was. A breath of fresh air. It's faster than 8 by far. I use Win7 in work and Win10 at home. However, Windows is a lot like buying an iPhone. You just get the same old same old with every release. Sure they make you believe you've just won the lottery but at the end of the day it's just the same thing.

Linux on the other hand. Oooft. Drag me away from it if you dare. Once you start using the Command Line Interface to do stuff, you wonder how you bothered your arse with a GUI. I still use the GUI in Linux, but it's just faster in CLI and more fun in Linux.

That being said. The best combo is a kick ass Core i7 laptop with *insert fave Linux distro* running in a VM. Lots of people buy $$$$ Macbooks, and that's fine but you can save money doing it the other way.

The kicker is that WIn10 is believed to have a Linux core. Also supports BASH scripting so it's not hard to gauge where the world is headed.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by defcore on Thu May 26, 2016 2:02 am
([msg=92371]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

I did not like Windows 8 in the least. I have heard good things about Windows 10; however, I have not yet tried it. I'm running Windows 7 and still hitting the 'Cancel free upgrade' button.
defcore
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Thu May 26, 2016 5:08 am
([msg=92372]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

I did buy a brand new laptop with Win8 on it. Upgraded to Win10 instantly and grabbed the key. I then bought a Samsung EVO 850 SSD and got the WIn10 ISO and installed it fresh. Put my old HDD back in and rolled it back to Win8. Now I have a back up OS and Win10 on the SSD. Best to do a disk image backup of Win10 after you install the updates too. Can be put on a DVD or a USB drive. Good idea to have something to return to as Windows Image Recovery is excellent as a way to return to base.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by e3cb on Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm
([msg=92375]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

Just 10
Trust me
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 pm
([msg=92376]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

whitewisdom wrote:Hi! Originally, my OS is windows 8 but then unfortunately, my hard drive was replaced and the technician upgraded it to windows 10. I was using 10 for about 4 months and so far, I was satisfied. I find it easier to use than windows 8. However, just recently, it crashed and i had to bring it to the repair shop again. And when it was returned to me, the technician told me to just stick with windows 8 because he was saying 10 has still a lot of issues to fix. Do you guys agree? What's your experience with 10?

10 runs better and is more user-friendly in almost every single way. 8 is a load of shit. Technicians like to spew random bullshit in order to sound like they know what they're talking about, trust me I know.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nate5 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:39 am
([msg=92405]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

Upgrade to win10, very nice, I like the new system
nate5
New User
New User

Post by Scar0ptics on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 pm
([msg=92406]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

Linux is always more secure out of the box, but I like Windows too!

When you set yourself up with whatever Windows OS you prefer or decide on, do yourself a favor and install a layer 7 based firewall and disable all unused services to close up any unnecessary ports that are not needed. Never leave a Windows system default as there are so many vulnerabilities, close things up. :)

Do not do a 'upgrade' install via windows update either. Do a clean install and download the .iso from Microsoft directly. When you wipe your drive before the clean install use DBAN for a mechanical drive or Blancco for any other drive with Solid-State Drive similar technology. I'm sure your system is using UEFI too, so you wont have to worry about the product key as it is already encrypted inside your systems firmware.

Don't go to no technician, do it yourself! ;)
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by beifangcanglang on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 pm
([msg=92964]see Re: Windows 8 or 10?[/msg])

10 is better I think , at least on my computer.
beifangcanglang
New User
New User

Next

Return to Operating Systems