Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup

Post by Lelouch Light on Sun May 17, 2015 12:29 pm
([msg=88083]see Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup[/msg])

I have an Alienware 14 on which I have tried to boot Kali and Tails multiple times over the past few days. When I attempt to usb live boot Kali it gets stuck spitting out code at me(which after doing research because of Tails appears to be a softlockup dump). When I attempt to usb live boot Tails in normal mode the bar makes it most of the way, then the screen turns black, followed by the bar returning smaller and in the middle of the screen. When it is almost finished loading the rest of the way I start getting error messages stating soft lockup and it never finishes loading. When I failsafe live boot, the bar loads all the way then does nothing. If I hit escape it goes to what appears to be a posible empty command line and if I hit esc again it goes back to the full bar(i can toggle back and forth to no avail).
Lelouch Light
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup

Post by Turn on Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm
([msg=88098]see Re: Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup[/msg])

You need to supply more information.
What version of the operating systems?
Did you verify the checksum on your files to make sure they are not corrupt?
What process did you use to create the live USB?
Maybe you have a bad USB; have you tried using another or a live CD?
Did you have any problems on your main OS before attempting the live boots?
Social Engineering:
<cen> .lua print ('Tsyn 9.47.-u 3 12 5')
* slickery has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
* cen has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
Turn
Poster
Poster

Re: Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup

Post by Lelouch Light on Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 pm
([msg=88103]see Re: Can't boot Linux based OS... soft lockup[/msg])

I tried Kali 1.1.0a and Tails 1.4xxx(whatever the newest release is). The Ubuntu was also the newest version according to the website. I did not verify the checksums, although I know I should have. However, I downloaded multiple times, so I doubt they would be corrupt. I also don't think I would be the target of a man in the middle, however I know it is a possibility, although I would imagine if that was the case that they would give me a version that works that is altered so they could steal information so like I said I doubt it.
Lelouch Light
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems