noob question

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

noob question

Post by tripbeam on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:19 pm
([msg=84157]see noob question[/msg])

So i was wanting for the fun of it to install kali on my RPi but i'm running linux as my main OS. Can i grab Zip files and unzip them onto my SD card?

You see, a computer tech said i should only download from the muon store for apps i want. But that does not apply for downloading files on the net like a zipped file for an OS right?
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: noob question

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:22 pm
([msg=84158]see Re: noob question[/msg])

What? What's this Muon Store? Never heard of it... Anyway, no unzipping the file, you probably need to dd or imagewrite the images to the SD card. There are tutorials on how to do that.
Last edited by cyberdrain on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm
([msg=84159]see Re: noob question[/msg])

The muon store is the app store for kubuntu, i assume it's different for ubuntu and other distros lol. And so i would be okay grabbing a file off the net and then dd'ing it to my SD?
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 pm
([msg=84163]see Re: noob question[/msg])

Sure, as long as you know what you're doing with dd (set if and of correctly!) and make sure the OS you dd can be run on the ARM processor of the Raspberry Pi. The SD card is just a storage medium, the guy in the store probably set up everything so you can use it, so you might want to make a backup first or use another card.

Other than that, it's your Pi, that hardware was created to play around with! Worst that can happen is that you overwriting your harddisk (in case you fail at dd) or the SD card not booting the Pi and you needing to reformat it to make it work (if dd worked correctly). So ... make sure you know how to use dd (or use a safer program) and you'll be fine.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 pm
([msg=84166]see Re: noob question[/msg])

Alright thanks, that's one thing i'm worried about is screwing over my hdd with DD. I will learn though :D
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Return to Operating Systems