Unix

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Unix

Post by JodyJ on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 am
([msg=78293]see Unix[/msg])

Hi I was wondering if it was possible to upload Ubuntu straight to a hard drive
JodyJ
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Unix

Post by ShadowedSniper on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:36 am
([msg=78294]see Re: Unix[/msg])

Ubuntu (debian based linux) is an operating system. You need to format the disk using a filesystem that is acceptable for linux (look at ext3 or ext4).

Alternatively, just put in the install disc and let the installer format the drive for you and partition it correctly.
ShadowedSniper
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm
([msg=78297]see Re: Unix[/msg])

JodyJ wrote:Hi I was wondering if it was possible to upload Ubuntu straight to a hard drive

First off, Ubuntu is Linux based, not Unix based.

Secondly, I'm confused by your question. Do you want to upload Ubuntu onto a server? As in, just load the ISO onto a server? Do you want to install Ubuntu onto a computer? Do you want to try to install Ubuntu onto a server? Do you want to try to directly load Ubuntu onto a hard drive without installing it? The way it was worded was really ambiguous and odd -- A rewording is needed.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by JodyJ on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:10 pm
([msg=78301]see Re: Unix[/msg])

Ok..... What I was trying to say was that I am having a problem installing Linux into my computer. I was wondering if I can install it straight into my hard drive on my computer or will I NEED to have a cd or USB .... Another thing is if I can load the app and run it in the cloud.
JodyJ
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:45 pm
([msg=78304]see Re: Unix[/msg])

JodyJ wrote:Ok..... What I was trying to say was that I am having a problem installing Linux into my computer. I was wondering if I can install it straight into my hard drive on my computer or will I NEED to have a cd or USB .... Another thing is if I can load the app and run it in the cloud.

See, this is a much easier question to answer. In fact, the answer is pretty simple -- No.

Think about this logically -- When you boot your computer, it knows essentially nothing. There is no operating system there to give make it look pretty, or allow browsing the Internet, or (almost) anything you would normally do. In fact, until the BIOS is loaded, it literally knows nothing. Once the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) get's loaded, it can now output text on the screen, and take basic input. So it knows a tiny bit more, but it still has no way of knowing that you want to boot into Ubuntu, it doesn't know where Ubuntu is located, or what it is for that matter. It doesn't know about filesystems and knows extremely little about the peripherals (USB/CD/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse) you've attached to your computer. Then comes the bootloader, the thing that tells your computer VERY important information, making it quite a bit smarter. Your bootloader can setup a basic filesystem, make things look pretty, switch into protected mode (don't need to know what this is, but kudos if you do), and load your cool operating system which knows way too much about your, ahem Internet ahem browsing habits.

Knowing what we do, how exactly is your computer supposed to find a specific file on a computer, know where to begin execution, or anything else necessary to load? How is going to load an application that is meant for your operating system to load? How is it going to connect to a server, download a file, install that file, and begin booting from it? The answer is quite simply, it doesn't/can't/won't. You HAVE to tell the computer (before it gets smart) in easy, slow, and clear language that the place you want to boot from is this CD/USB rather than from the usual spots on your computer. Now everything I've said in this post isn't a absolute. There are always ways of doing things that aren't meant to be done, but for the purpose of this topic, it'll be easier to comprehend if you just imagine them as absolute.

You can, however, install Linux in Windows by using WUBI, but that comes with a few downsides and uses a few techniques that I won't go over in this topic, but you might want to look it up as it may help out with your problem.

If you need any further clarification, feel free to PM me.

TL;DR: Nope. Look up WUBI.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by tgoe on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:42 am
([msg=78309]see Re: Unix[/msg])

Adding a few options to centip3de's post:
You could use *nix through a VM. You could also get some *nix action through the "cloud" with PythonAnywhere, which is nice and will give you the basics of a *nix box, painlessly. Also, look into sdf.org for a shell account.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JodyJ on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:54 pm
([msg=78313]see Re: Unix[/msg])

Thanks u guys u broke that down nicely.
JodyJ
New User
New User