linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?

Post by joeyrules666 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:07 pm
([msg=78053]see linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

hello,
i currently run on windows 7.is it true that for programming/ hacking windows just doesnt cut it because it is not openscource and that linux is the only way to go . is this realy true?
im a real noob . so sorry for this real noobish quistion i just want to get my facts straight.
thanks in advance,
joeyrules666
joeyrules666
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?

Post by hellow533 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:35 pm
([msg=78054]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

joeyrules666 wrote:hello,
i currently run on windows 7.is it true that for programming/ hacking windows just doesnt cut it because it is not openscource and that linux is the only way to go . is this realy true?
im a real noob . so sorry for this real noobish quistion i just want to get my facts straight.
thanks in advance,
joeyrules666

You can do a lot with windows. It's just with Linux, you could do a lot more.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm
([msg=78055]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:You can do a lot with windows. It's just with Linux, you could do a lot more.

You can do the same things on both Linux and Windows, it's just with Linux it's so much easier than it is with Windows (gotta love that CLI).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Goatboy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 pm
([msg=78056]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

Hooray for short answers!

To elaborate:

Windows makes it a hassle to do anything useful. It doesn't come with any programming languages by default, it forces you to learn bad habits in order to actually get shit done, it doesn't force you to become familiar with the command line, it doesn't expose much of the details of how it runs, it won't let you make mistakes and learn from them... The list goes on.

Take any Linux system on the other hand, and you have an environment where you can do way more from the command line, you can program in a wide array of languages almost instantly, you can host a web server, you can view raw network data, learn the skills that 90% of network/sysadmins need, and be surrounded by software that was built by hackers.

So yes, you *can* learn to hack under windows, but to quote Eric S Raymond:

Eric Raymond wrote:Trying to learn to hack on a Microsoft Windows machine or under any other closed-source system is like trying to learn to dance while wearing a body cast.

Read this:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

It has little to do with what you think about hacking, but it does teach you a lot about being self-sufficient and getting you in the right environment to learn.
Last edited by Goatboy on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by joeyrules666 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:20 pm
([msg=78067]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

realy thanks for the answers guys it has given me a better understanding also thanks for the website i found your answer really helpfull
joeyrules666
New User
New User

Post by Lj123123123 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 am
([msg=78076]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

I personally use Linux. It's open-sourced, makes it have lots of bug-fixes, versus waiting for service packs each year, and spending 200$ to upgrade.
Lj123123123
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 pm
([msg=78097]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

I have switched to Xen myself, which is a baremetal hypervisor - I guess you could say it's Linux though... http://www.xenproject.org/

This provides an opportunity to run multiple operating systems on a single pc. Currently I run win7, winxp, centos, debian and I have a few other virtual disks, which allows me to toy around with many operating systems.. another benefit of virtualizing is the ability to set a vhd to a non-persistent state, which means you can completely hose your OS while derping around on it, and the next time you run it will be in its previous initial state. Hypervisor is the way of the future I advise anyone that does programming or other such hackery to get with the program. Don't just settle for 1 OS when you can have them all!

There are other virtualization platforms available, VMWare is one.. I highly suggest looking into any of them for development environments.. 1 really simple use case - as a web developer I still often have to make websites that are IE8, 9 and modern compliant by customer request. Having VMs allows me to run different versions of IE in their native environments to check for problems.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Resistor on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:33 am
([msg=78104]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

You should be more specific OP; there are many Linux distrobutions, and not all are suited to hacking. Linux Mint is a great desktop OS, but it's a desktop OS, not a hacking OS. Kali is a hacking OS, and is an excellent OS for hacking, but would make a very poor desktop OS for general use. The different distros have their different uses, and it's up to you to pick whichever suits your needs best.
Resistor
New User
New User

Post by joeyrules666 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 pm
([msg=78112]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

i would install ubuntu as a desktop os and backtrack or kali for hacking
primarly because i haerd ubuntu is very user friendly for new users and i would only instal bactrack or kali once im more familiar with linux
and i would like to thank you you have realy been a great help
joeyrules666
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm
([msg=78125]see Re: linux the only operating system for proggraming/hacking?[/msg])

Y'all mother fuckers need logic.

But seriously, both Kali/Backtrack/Mint/Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Arch/Gentoo/Whatever all use the same kernel (well, actually, maybe different versions, but meh). This means that you can install any program that's on Kali onto Ubuntu and visa versa. While both Kali and Backtrack are meant to be a plug-and-play penetration testing suite, they're not any better than a correctly set up Ubuntu/Gentoo/Arch/Mint/Whatever box would be.

As long as OP sets everything up correctly, any *nix distro will work the same as any other *nix distro.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Operating Systems