RIP Windows

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

RIP Windows

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:59 am
([msg=81302]see RIP Windows[/msg])

I'm just posting this up here in case anyone is interested in the existence of this problem, so perhaps they could use their brain to find the solution. It's too late for me.

Today Windows met a violent end. While our relationship has been a bumpy one, we really did care about each other even if we didn't know how to show it.

I've been struggling to install Ubuntu beside my Windows for several days now with no luck. To ensure I kept the OS that I understood how to operate, I wanted to install it on my external (this lead to several reformattings of my external, and therefor deletion of all of the files I was trying to save on it). Finally I gave up and went with the dual install on my hard drive next to Windows option. I left to use the bathroom, and came back to find another install error, and computer blood everywhere. Ubuntu murdered Windows. Whether it was in self defense or not, I don't know. He's claiming the fifth. In any case, my Windows was destroyed. I no longer have Windows.

That being the case, my next attempt to install Ubuntu had one more option than I had before. That was the "delete current OS and be in a mutually exclusive relationship with me" option. I've never picked this one before because I didn't want to lose Windows. My first attempt with this option worked fine. It's installed. A thousand tries to dual boot failed, the first attempt at letting Ubuntu be master succeeded.

So, was Windows refusing to work next to Ubuntu?
Was Ubuntu refusing to work next to Windows?
Was the violent hatred mutual?
Why can Ubuntu only be installed on my system if it is the only OS?

Don't know if you guys will find this technological anomaly interesting or not, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone wanted to solve it and maybe the save life of innocent OSs in the future.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: RIP Windows

Post by Zaytrox on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:23 pm
([msg=81303]see Re: RIP Windows[/msg])

Were you using Windows 8? Because I've found that in order to dual boot windows 8 there are a few security start up settings that needed to be disabled. If that was your problem, I'll have a check for the links of the articles that helped me - although it may be too late for you now.

EDIT: Found my link I spoke of, you have to disable fast boot and secure boot. http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html
Basic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11)
Realistic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
Zaytrox
New User
New User

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:34 pm
([msg=81304]see Re: RIP Windows[/msg])

Nope, I was rocking Vista. Only the best for me, lol.

I have a buddy helping guide me through Ubuntu right now. I have to say, witnessing my new OS is certainly expediting my greiving process. This OS is AWESOME!
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:20 pm
([msg=81307]see Re: RIP Windows[/msg])

Compared with Vista every OS is awesome, even downgrading to outdated and no longer supported XP would've been better. There is a known bug that external hard-drives might not work correctly for installing Linux. You would've been better off installing to your primary disk in the space you had and just dd a copy to the external drive. I'm sorry your lost your files, luckily you were smart enough to backup your important data (if not, you've learnt a very valuable lesson), but as you're beginning to suspect you're better off this way.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Return to Operating Systems