Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro

Post by jalvarg on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm
([msg=78312]see Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro[/msg])

Greetings, I was wondering if I could get some guidance in regard to installing a Linux distro on a MacBook Pro early-2012 for dual-boot. I really want to get it done on my own but I havent found any good guides or tips off google. Im willing to do a little studying and digging for info, just seems that this type of info is very rarified... A opinion on a particular distro would help too, am looking to play around with different languages/compilers, networking tools, and the nuts and bolts of the os. Thank you guys.
jalvarg
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro

Post by centip3de on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:06 pm
([msg=78314]see Re: Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro[/msg])

jalvarg wrote:Greetings, I was wondering if I could get some guidance in regard to installing a Linux distro on a MacBook Pro early-2012 for dual-boot. I really want to get it done on my own but I havent found any good guides or tips off google. Im willing to do a little studying and digging for info, just seems that this type of info is very rarified... A opinion on a particular distro would help too, am looking to play around with different languages/compilers, networking tools, and the nuts and bolts of the os. Thank you guys.

Should be a fairly simple process; Partition the hard drive, format that partition to ext2, burn the ISO on a CD, put the CD in the computer, boot from CD, follow the install process.

And for beginners in the *nix scene, I always recommend Ubuntu.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by WallShadow on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:56 am
([msg=78325]see Re: Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro[/msg])

be careful of problems with the wifi adapters. mac is known for having compatibility problems when you use their wifi adapters on a different OS.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:46 pm
([msg=78335]see Re: Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro[/msg])

jalvarg wrote:Greetings, I was wondering if I could get some guidance in regard to installing a Linux distro on a MacBook Pro early-2012 for dual-boot.

If you are just trying to learn Linux, I would advise against dual-boot. Most often what I see happen is people mess up the install or don't like it or find some other excuse not to use it daily, and then they go back to their primary OS. Instead, take a look into Virtual Machines. They provide a simulated set of hardware (so that helps with the driver issues) that you can then install an OS onto, running within your primary. If you make mistakes you can roll them back, and if something doesn't work you don't have to reboot into the other OS to look something up.

If you truly need to dual boot (not a Mac person here so forgive this next part) isn't there something like Boot Camp that is supposed to do this for you?

jalvarg wrote:Im willing to do a little studying and digging for info, just seems that this type of info is very rarified...

It's not rare at all, I think you are just looking for the wrong things. And you really should replace "Im willing to do" to "I've already done" if you plan on asking a lot of questions here. Gets you a lot more respect and help if you put in the work before asking.

Also, +1 for Ubuntu. Pretty painless for starters.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by jalvarg on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:47 pm
([msg=78464]see Re: Manual install of Distro(Fedora 19 maybe) on a MacBook Pro[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:It's not rare at all, I think you are just looking for the wrong things. And you really should replace "Im willing to do" to "I've already done" if you plan on asking a lot of questions here. Gets you a lot more respect and help if you put in the work before asking. Also, +1 for Ubuntu. Pretty painless for starters.

centip3de and Goatboy Thanks for the insight. I think its me try to not look so stupid. I've delved into some books like Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Elements of Programming, and a few practical books on PHP, JavaScript, Python along with the research I do on the web... and some stuff on unix but nothing seems to have a practical approach to operating systems. For me, it seems essential to know your OS(especially linux) before you can do some real programming, and 'real' programming is my goal. I will keep you updated on my progress.
jalvarg
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems