Which do you think is better?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Which do you think is better?

Post by shdwcat on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm
([msg=77118]see Which do you think is better?[/msg])

I am currently in a pen testing class and I have backtrack 5 running on a VM, But I wanted to see what you guys/gals think. I am open to trying out different OS's. and what makes that OS better? Thx.

Backtrack 5 R3

Kali Linux (yes I know its by the same makers as BackTrack)

BackBox

Or any others you feel is better then the ones I listed above.
shdwcat
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Which do you think is better?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:29 am
([msg=77119]see Re: Which do you think is better?[/msg])

I prefer Kali Linux > Back Track

The differences are slight, and you need to understand the operating systems in order to notice all the changes.
A small noticable change is that you can call any command from any directory instead of having to cd /pentest/*/command
It has also been a lot more stable for me.

Here is a direct quote:

BackTrack Website wrote:Kali is a more mature, secure, and enterprise-ready version of BackTrack Linux.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Gill_Sans on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 am
([msg=77123]see Re: Which do you think is better?[/msg])

The latest update on the Backtrack site, from March, is to announce the launch of Kali. Kali is essentially BT6, except not, because it has some significant build differences making it its own distro. But, still, if you have been a Backtrack user, you will find that you are or will soon be a Kali user.

I can't comment on BackBox as I've never used it, but its nice to know it exists. Some feel that it seems a waste to have two distros so similar to each other, but I'm a believer that options strengthen the Linux community in the long run. By having two projects, they can both experiment in different ways and learn from each others' successes and failures to build more robust systems. You also have something to jump to should your preferred distro lose support.
Gill_Sans
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:08 am
([msg=77126]see Re: Which do you think is better?[/msg])

A note on kali v backtrack
while previously stated that Kali is essentially BT6, I've heard that due to some licensing problems, kali doesn't contain everything backtrack had, out of the box. I havn't looked into how big of a deal this is, just sayin
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shdwcat on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:04 pm
([msg=77128]see Re: Which do you think is better?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:A note on kali v backtrack
while previously stated that Kali is essentially BT6, I've heard that due to some licensing problems, kali doesn't contain everything backtrack had, out of the box. I havn't looked into how big of a deal this is, just sayin

I will have to look further into this, I was interested in downloading this to give it a try using VM. I was going to do the same with BackBox, I am just not sure what BackBox has to offer over BackTrack or Kali.

-- Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:29 am --

So far I have not found any licensing issues with Kali and there seems to be a nice tool section. Thanks everyone for thier input I about to download Kali.

Tool list if anyone wants to see:

Kali List
http://zer0byte.com/2013/03/19/kali-linux-complete-tools-list-installation-screen-shots/

BackTrack5 list
http://aerstone.com/aerstone-labs/bttools/
shdwcat
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems