Change Hardwired Network Settings

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Change Hardwired Network Settings

Post by beastiethe4th on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 pm
([msg=72209]see Change Hardwired Network Settings[/msg])

I'm severely new to this, so be gentle.

I want to get into the network that I'm using at my apartment complex and clear things up so that I may surf more freely, and have a nice open connection for my PC and my gaming consoles. After a little research I learned that my apt complex is most likely using some sort of proxy server that we connect through.

Is it possible or even legal to go into the network and remove or change some of the proxy settings? If so how could I do it?
beastiethe4th
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Change Hardwired Network Settings

Post by WallShadow on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm
([msg=72215]see Re: Change Hardwired Network Settings[/msg])

First, welcome to HTS!

Second, I think you are confusing a few things my friend. If you have your own private router, you aren't on the same network as everyone else in the building (which is most likely the case), you have your own network which you control. Next, if you do have your own router, then you aren't using a normal proxy server. I'm not sure what it is, but there still could be something in between you and your ISP similar to a proxy.

beastiethe4th wrote:Is it possible or even legal to go into the network and remove or change some of the proxy settings? If so how could I do it?

Unless you own the network/router or have permission to change the proxy settings, no, it is illegal to change the NETWORK'S proxy settings, but any settings on your own computer you can change whenever you'd like. i.e: you can't log in to the router's control panel or the proxy server control panel and start messing with it, but anything like in the windows control panel is yours to toy around with.

beastiethe4th wrote:I want to get into the network that I'm using at my apartment complex and clear things up so that I may surf more freely, and have a nice open connection for my PC and my gaming consoles.

I'm not sure, you could look into the available data rates of your ISP, your connection, your router, and your ethernet card, but that is a bit ahead of what most people do (generally it is impractical because you probably already have your bandwidth cap or it is ridiculously expensive to upgrade everything to faster speeds).
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beastiethe4th on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:36 am
([msg=72366]see Re: Change Hardwired Network Settings[/msg])

I don't use a personal router, my internet connection is hardwired into the wall. My ethernet goes straight from the wall to my computer. The connection provided by my complex is a nightmare, I mean I can't even set up a password for my new wireless router. I haven't set up a password for the network yet, but when prompted to submit a password (it says "leave blank and click 'submit' if you haven't set up a custom password"), it auto-fills something, and locks me out of the router settings. I've done everything I can think of, I turned off my auto-complete settings, and even tried to input an "auto-complete off" command through firebug. Here's the bit of code I used
Code: Select all
<input name="q" type="text" autocomplete="off"/>

Can you give me any insight as to what my problem might be? The password thats auto-filled even exceeds the 12 character limit set by the existing code.

I know I probably sound like a total idiot, but I'm completely lost.
beastiethe4th
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 am
([msg=72367]see Re: Change Hardwired Network Settings[/msg])

beastiethe4th wrote:I don't use a personal router, my internet connection is hardwired into the wall. My ethernet goes straight from the wall to my computer. The connection provided by my complex is a nightmare, I mean I can't even set up a password for my new wireless router. I haven't set up a password for the network yet, but when prompted to submit a password (it says "leave blank and click 'submit' if you haven't set up a custom password"), it auto-fills something, and locks me out of the router settings. I've done everything I can think of, I turned off my auto-complete settings, and even tried to input an "auto-complete off" command through firebug. Here's the bit of code I used <input name="q" type="text" autocomplete="off"/>

Can you give me any insight as to what my problem might be? The password thats auto-filled even exceeds the 12 character limit set by the existing code.

I know I probably sound like a total idiot, but I'm completely lost.

If the network is not yours, and you are attempting to log into the network's cpanel it is illegal. If you really want to surf more "freely" you should probably get some service hooked up at your residence. Using their network is probably free where you are at, and they have restrictions / settings set up for security reasons. The last thing they want is a bunch of security issues due to people configuring the settings within the cpanel. If you want access to the cpanel, you need the password, and in most countries, cracking the password is illegal; even if it is never used.

I hope I am on track with this post. If I am correct, you are using the internet connection of your residence that probably filters certain websites and such, and you wish to unblock them? If you are talking about the connection speed, I am sure they have it set to the best standards by default, so it wouldn't help you to try and tweak settings from there. If not, then disregard my message..
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:50 pm
([msg=72378]see Re: Change Hardwired Network Settings[/msg])

Let me get this straight. You apartment complex provides your internet? That you have no control over? UGH! That is just... balls! You need to get in touch with your local ISP and get your own line.

But I am a bit confused about what is happening here. If you have a wireless router then you should have full control over that router and its password. But that brings me to another question. When you are hardwired in, are you hit with a login prompt before you can begin surfing? Have you noticed any specific filtering (websites, P2P, etc)?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Networking