SSH Tunnel Stable, HTTP Unstable

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

SSH Tunnel Stable, HTTP Unstable

Post by djmounce553 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 am
([msg=72000]see SSH Tunnel Stable, HTTP Unstable[/msg])

Hey all,
So I found a rather confusing issue on a DSL to wireless connection. The connection drops to nothing (without disconnecting) 20+ times a day, seemingly randomly. It affects HTTP on all browsers, World of Warcraft, and League of Legends that I've noticed so far. When HTTP is affected, no games or torrents or other P2P applications are open.

The odd thing about it is that it does not affect SSH traffic at all. I have an SSH tunnel setup through PuTTy that will work perfectly fine retrieving pages on a tunneled browser while the standard HTTP browser fails to retrieve the very same pages. I'm rather at a loss as to what could be causing this issue. Any ideas?
djmounce553
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: SSH Tunnel Stable, HTTP Unstable

Post by cjf22524 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 pm
([msg=72136]see Re: SSH Tunnel Stable, HTTP Unstable[/msg])

Same problems here, although I haven't tried ssh. Tell me if you find any fixes.

Some things I found:

If you can ping your router, then it may have to do with the routers connection to your modem OR it is on the ISP side and you will have to call them up to fix whatever is wrong.

I noticed larger bandwidth will cause the drop more frequently (LoL for me as well).

If you have an old modem, try replacing it. I know mine is definitely 10+ years old, and firmware upgrades can only help so much considering how quickly protocols have updated and changed.
cjf22524
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Networking