Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?

Post by crowoy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:59 pm
([msg=69033]see Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?[/msg])

Hey,

I haven't been on this forum for ages, and it's good to be back. Basically, I have a spare Dell PowerEdge 2650 that isn't doing anything right now. So I figured that as it's nearly back-to-school time, that I would try and make it into a means of tunneling internet traffic from my desktop and laptops.

I really don't know how to even get started on this as I am a newbie to Linux, specifically Ubuntu. There are 2 reasons why I want to do this:

1. Because my school block YouTube, FaceBook, etc.
2. Because when I am out and about with my laptop, in internet cafes, etc. I want a means of securely connecting to the internet.

I know that the school run a BLOXX proxy, or something like that, to log all of the students into the internet with their individual logins. Teachers also have logins, but I think that have different authorities or something, as they can access any website at any time.

If anyone can help, then please leave a reply. Also, if you have any sort of advise for me, then please leave it as a reply as well.

Thank you,
-Oliver Crow
crowoy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?

Post by 0phidian on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:52 pm
([msg=69035]see Re: Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?[/msg])

http://www.septimius.net/linux-howto-setup-openvpn-server/

In addition to setting it up I beleive you will have to do some port forwarding on your router, so the server can be accessed from outside your home network. Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

If all else fails, I used to just stick a copy of the tor browser on a flash drive and use it to get past my schools filtering.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Re: Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?

Post by crowoy on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 am
([msg=69039]see Re: Using Ubuntu as a VPN Tunnel?[/msg])

Thanks for the reply! I will try set this up and see if it works. I have used Tor before, however it only works for web browsing, I wanted my whole system's internet connection going through this tunnel so that I could use applications like TweetDeck, MineCraft (Multiplayer), World of Warcraft, etc. Also, the Tor browsers connection is really slow, and I was hoping that I could get a faster connection by going through this.

Thanks again,
-Oliver Crow
crowoy
New User
New User

Return to Networking