Wifi Hacking UK

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: Wifi Hacking UK

Post by limdis on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 am
([msg=64769]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

a lot of users like to run backtrack through vmware. That's fine for everything else but doing so you lose your wireless capabilities

You can't run it through vmware if you want to work with the with wireless card. I can't remember off the top of my head the specific reason, but I know its by design to prevent it. It has nothing to do with backtrack its vmware itself. You are going to have to make a live cd or boot off a thumb drive. Go check to the website and read into it. They have a forum and there are tons of videos on youtube to assist in getting yourself set up.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Anti-Gov on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 am
([msg=64777]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

thanks bro youve been alot of help
people pay taxes to remain free men, but doesn’t that make us slaves, having to pay for our freedom

Anti-Gov
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 am
([msg=64781]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

In the big scheme of things, getting this set up and learning the basics behind wireless cracking is very simple compared to a lot of other things. You have to read and understand a lot. Otherwise, you'll just start punching away doing something you don't want to do, failing, or getting caught (both). Don't get discouraged and don't give up. If what you are trying to do doesn't work immediately, learn why.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Anti-Gov on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm
([msg=64797]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

hey i was looking into it and found a way to use backtrack with vb
people pay taxes to remain free men, but doesn’t that make us slaves, having to pay for our freedom

Anti-Gov
New User
New User

Post by ConchX on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:11 pm
([msg=65098]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

If you want to do things seriously, I recommend getting a high range antenna/adapter.
Here is a nice adapter~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332208729&sr=8-3

If you want to go even further, you could get this~
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2200mW-Booster-Antenna-802-11n-STRONG/dp/B0034FAS0K/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332208789&sr=1-6

No doubt the latter will cover your whole street. :lol:

As stated, Backtrack is the best option, it comes pre-packaged with everything needed.
If you own a router, you could perform attack on it, to practice.

I started out with WEP, unfortunately, even though this type of encryption is still used, it's near enough long gone, however you're sure enough to find at least 1 on every street in the UK. (Mostly)

WEP is great for a beginner, and it's a fast process.
After that, go for a stronger encryption, WPA-PSK, try bruteforcing the key with wordlists (You need the 4 way handshake for this) This is very slow and could take days..

A new tool has been released not so long ago, called Reaver.
It exploits the WPS feature of most networks (I've heard every network device has WPS enabled on default, I've also heard on some devices, it's not even possible to switch off)

And allows you to bruteforce the PIN, which is used with WPA.

I tested Reaver on my own network this morning, manually turned on WPS in my router config and bruteforced it.
Got the PIN & Password for it in 3 hours :)

Good Luck!
ConchX
New User
New User

Post by archman on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 pm
([msg=65936]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

What vm software are you using? did you set your network card to be bridged in the vm settings?

my bad i didnt see the second page "duh"
archman
New User
New User

Post by UltimatePeter on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm
([msg=75950]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

ConchX wrote:If you want to do things seriously, I recommend getting a high range antenna/adapter.
Here is a nice adapter~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332208729&sr=8-3

If you want to go even further, you could get this~
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2200mW-Booster-Antenna-802-11n-STRONG/dp/B0034FAS0K/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332208789&sr=1-6

No doubt the latter will cover your whole street. :lol:

As stated, Backtrack is the best option, it comes pre-packaged with everything needed.
If you own a router, you could perform attack on it, to practice.

I started out with WEP, unfortunately, even though this type of encryption is still used, it's near enough long gone, however you're sure enough to find at least 1 on every street in the UK. (Mostly)

WEP is great for a beginner, and it's a fast process.
After that, go for a stronger encryption, WPA-PSK, try bruteforcing the key with wordlists (You need the 4 way handshake for this) This is very slow and could take days..

A new tool has been released not so long ago, called Reaver.
It exploits the WPS feature of most networks (I've heard every network device has WPS enabled on default, I've also heard on some devices, it's not even possible to switch off)

And allows you to bruteforce the PIN, which is used with WPA.

I tested Reaver on my own network this morning, manually turned on WPS in my router config and bruteforced it.
Got the PIN & Password for it in 3 hours :)

Good Luck!

Yes, this is an awesome way to get through WPA/WPA2!
Here is a video I made on how to do this with Reaver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay_b_owni0Y

The newest Reaver that comes with Kali Linux 1.3 also comes with this tool "wash" which will tell you who exactly in your neighborhood is running WPS. This will save you the waste of time you might have trying on someone who doesn't have WPS.

BTW: In this tutorial, I am using my ALFA adapter, which works great in VMware.
UltimatePeter
New User
New User

Post by brutal_hacker on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 pm
([msg=75952]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

Just like everyone else has stated get yourself a long range wifi adaptor like the alfa adaptor has not let me down yet. Just run a bootable copy of kali on my laptop with my alfa adaptor. Great for testing connections. For legitimate reasons of course. The range is huge great for war driving
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 pm
([msg=75953]see Re: Wifi Hacking UK[/msg])

Please don't necro old posts, just let them die.

Locked.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Previous

Return to Networking