Unfamiliar devices on local network

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Unfamiliar devices on local network

Post by gfstearns on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm
([msg=64584]see Unfamiliar devices on local network[/msg])

Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out here.

I have a linksys router secured with just WAP, but my password consists of 26 letters/numbers. Somehow, 2 unknown devices keep getting onto my network (pretty sure it's my downstairs neighbors). One is a PC, to which I have the name, the other is an iPhone. Whenever my internet is running slow, I check out my client table, and sure enough they are there. On top of that, I just got my 2nd notification for DMCA violation. The work that they're saying I downloaded has never even been searched for by myself or my roommate. My questions are: 1. is there a way to access the devices and snoop around, to prove that my internet is being stolen, and 2. Can someone give a quick tutorial on how to mess with these bastards? I've seen something about turning all browser text upside down, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know I could easily put a MAC filter on, but I want to have a little fun first.

Thanks in advance!!!
gfstearns
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Unfamiliar devices on local network

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:52 pm
([msg=64587]see Re: Unfamiliar devices on local network[/msg])

gfstearns wrote:Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out here.

I have a linksys router secured with just WAP, but my password consists of 26 letters/numbers. Somehow, 2 unknown devices keep getting onto my network (pretty sure it's my downstairs neighbors). One is a PC, to which I have the name, the other is an iPhone. Whenever my internet is running slow, I check out my client table, and sure enough they are there. On top of that, I just got my 2nd notification for DMCA violation. The work that they're saying I downloaded has never even been searched for by myself or my roommate. My questions are: 1. is there a way to access the devices and snoop around, to prove that my internet is being stolen, and 2. Can someone give a quick tutorial on how to mess with these bastards? I've seen something about turning all browser text upside down, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know I could easily put a MAC filter on, but I want to have a little fun first.

Thanks in advance!!!

As much fun as that would be, we can't help you accomplish these tasks as they are illegal. We do not support, nor condone illegal activities. I would suggest you switch to WPA2 and add a firewall. If you really wanna get fancy, you could redirect those who give a faulty password to a page that vastly insults them, and logs their I.P. . Other than that, we cannot legally tell you how to hack someone else's property.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by pretentious on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:01 pm
([msg=64589]see Re: Unfamiliar devices on local network[/msg])

exclude their mac address from connecting? Wont get the revenge you are looking for but should make it harder for them to get in
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 pm
([msg=64591]see Re: Unfamiliar devices on local network[/msg])

WPA2 and mac filter will be the best way to go here. Just for proof that the violation wasn't your devices you can d/l nmap and run a network scan to document mac addresses that weren't authorized to access your network.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am
([msg=64594]see Re: Unfamiliar devices on local network[/msg])

I could answer this question for you. Now I'm going to have to make sure just how legal it is.
But as far as I am concerned, I see them as fair game. I see it as a theft of services. Something you pay for. You break into my house, you will be shot. You break into my network, you will be messed with.

First step is changing your encryption and renaming the network. Also take what the others have posted, its good stuff. Look through the logs and check out the MAC addresses to see who has connected, the first 3 number sets are assigned based on what the hardware is, unless spoofed. Identify them here just to be sure its not a phone or xbox or something. NMAP was also mentioned, if you just want something easy and pretty to tell you whats going just download Network Magic. Even after the trial expires it will tell you whats going on.

gfstearns wrote:turning all browser text upside down

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

*this is not illegal, you have every right to control how your network is to be viewed*
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Networking