Network Monitoring

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Network Monitoring

Post by iistapp on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:39 am
([msg=63644]see Network Monitoring[/msg])

So I just moved in with my girlfriend, and well.. She doesn't have a clue about networking or torrenting (actually she doesn't have a clue about computers tbh).

Here is a simple scenario:
I'm playing some games online when I'm taking a break, I tell her to turn off her torrents so I don't get a major amount of lag.

She turns off one torrent, and asks if that helped.

It did. So I start playing.. - 5 minutes later I get such major lag that I disconnect.

So I ask if she turned on her downloads again, and she said no.
Obviously she didn't because she wouldn't lie, so I check her torrent program, and heey! She got 5 more torrent running, but did turn off one. (See, girls never lie)

TLDR: She turned off one torrent and it was fine for 5 minutes, but once the other ones started to connect to other peers the download went to max speed on the other ones and I got fucked.


So, if you are like me and skip all the text and only read the last part of posts, hi to you!
I'm in need of a network monitoring tool. Yes I tried google, but could only find a bunch of not too trustworthy pay to get tools, and couldn't really find any good torrents with a decent tool either.

Anyone got some suggestions?

What I'm looking for is a tool that monitors network usage on different computers, from my own.
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by DegreesKelvin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm
([msg=63646]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

Wireshark is a nice network monitoring tool available for windows. I don't use it myself a lot (I'm still a beginner) but heard good things about it.
I however don't get how a network monitoring will help you solve this problem. I think using download limits build into many torrent applications might solve the problem and explain to her whats the problem and how she can help not causing too much lag.
[14:33:02] <FlutterBurp> Dear princess celestia, i finally found out what Alt + F4 Does, i lost a important document thanks to you. Yours pissed off Twilight sparkle.
User avatar
DegreesKelvin
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by iistapp on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:19 pm
([msg=63658]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

DegreesKelvin wrote:Wireshark is a nice network monitoring tool available for windows. I don't use it myself a lot (I'm still a beginner) but heard good things about it.
I however don't get how a network monitoring will help you solve this problem. I think using download limits build into many torrent applications might solve the problem and explain to her whats the problem and how she can help not causing too much lag.

Cheers, thought it was only for linux, and can't bother making a usb-boot device at the moment.

The thing is, it doesn't help to explain, trust me, I have tried..

The point is that, if she say she have turned off her torrents, I can still see if she still is using a huge amount of bandwidth from her computer, as she got a bunch of shit.. (frostwire, µtorrent, bitcomet and a shit load of other torrent programs a like running at the same time)
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by Acidiferous on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:29 pm
([msg=63661]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

If you have access to her pc, and if it's your girlfriends pc that shouldent be a problem, you can try tcpview from sysinternals (MS©). It gives a better picture of what programs/processes is feeding of your connection.

Wireshark is a great tool for a lot of tasks, and I guess you can make some smart filters, but tcpview gives a simple and more clear overview. At least I think so :)

You can download it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437
Acidiferous
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:49 am
Location: Europe
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by DegreesKelvin on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:40 am
([msg=63676]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

iistapp wrote:
DegreesKelvin wrote:Wireshark is a nice network monitoring tool available for windows. I don't use it myself a lot (I'm still a beginner) but heard good things about it.
I however don't get how a network monitoring will help you solve this problem. I think using download limits build into many torrent applications might solve the problem and explain to her whats the problem and how she can help not causing too much lag.

Cheers, thought it was only for linux, and can't bother making a usb-boot device at the moment.

The thing is, it doesn't help to explain, trust me, I have tried..

The point is that, if she say she have turned off her torrents, I can still see if she still is using a huge amount of bandwidth from her computer, as she got a bunch of shit.. (frostwire, µtorrent, bitcomet and a shit load of other torrent programs a like running at the same time)

Wireshark only for linux? I think you have to look again on their site.
You know that network monitoring will do nothing about the torrent downloading rigth?
[14:33:02] <FlutterBurp> Dear princess celestia, i finally found out what Alt + F4 Does, i lost a important document thanks to you. Yours pissed off Twilight sparkle.
User avatar
DegreesKelvin
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:25 am
([msg=63678]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

If you learned command line you wouldn't have to ask that. Recon Recon Recon. It can't be stressed enough.
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by iistapp on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 am
([msg=63680]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

DegreesKelvin wrote:Wireshark only for linux? I think you have to look again on their site.
You know that network monitoring will do nothing about the torrent downloading rigth?

I didn't, I just remembered the name from the tools page on HTS, from some time back - therefor I believed it was for Linux only, but I guess i remembered wrong.

Forget about the torrents, I just need to be able to watch the bandwidth of a computer.

Which I hope I can do with the use of Wireshark? I haven't had the time to check it out yet, or even read up about it, I just know it's a network tool, that's pretty much it.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:If you learned command line you wouldn't have to ask that. Recon Recon Recon. It can't be stressed enough.

Would that be a command for the command line in Linux?
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by amp1776 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 pm
([msg=63687]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

Better solution: look into tomato firmware for your router. then you can control what connections get how much bandwidth and when, if you work it right. :mrgreen:
"Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination." Karl Von Clausewitz
User avatar
amp1776
New User
New User
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by iistapp on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 am
([msg=63696]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

amp1776 wrote:Better solution: look into tomato firmware for your router. then you can control what connections get how much bandwidth and when, if you work it right. :mrgreen:

I remember my brother used NetLimiter on my computer back in the days, but that had to be installed, and I could easily disable it, and raise my bandwidth if I needed it. Is that still the same, or can you use it from one computer to limit the whole network?

Problem is, it's not my router, as we are me and my gf, and two elder people living over us, but they hardly use their computer, so it doesn't matter that much tbh. But still, if I fuck it up, and loose connection to is I'm screwed, as I can't connect hardwired, only wireless.

Still, I'll read into it, sounds interesting, is it supported by most routers nowadays?
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Network Monitoring

Post by amp1776 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:21 pm
([msg=63702]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

well, the Tomato page says broadcom based routers.

I'v never used it myself, dd-wrt yes. turn a 50 linksys into a 500 super router as the sites say. :mrgreen:

BTW; that would be my sales pitch if I thought I had any chance of being allowed to upgrade the router, ( if its compatable )

OR, just get another, and upgrade it for temp use where your at?
"Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination." Karl Von Clausewitz
User avatar
amp1776
New User
New User
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron