Network Monitoring

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: Network Monitoring

Post by iistapp on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm
([msg=63771]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

amp1776 wrote:well, the Tomato page says broadcom based routers.

I'v never used it myself, dd-wrt yes. turn a 50 linksys into a 500 super router as the sites say. :mrgreen:

BTW; that would be my sales pitch if I thought I had any chance of being allowed to upgrade the router, ( if its compatable )

OR, just get another, and upgrade it for temp use where your at?

As it's not my router, I can't be arsed to actually upgrade the firmware in case shit goes wrong, as I (think) I mentioned earlier I don't have access to it, only wireless. Even tho the login is admin/blank, but I'm a too nice guy for that.. But then again, when I think about it, I could crash the router, tell them they need a new one and upgrade the bandwidth because their current is "too old" for the new routers that are made now a days, it would have been a win-win, but then again.. I'm a nice guy, I might suggest it tho, and maybe ask if I can set it up, if they get a new router, then I will have a chance to work around with the firmware...

I'll see what I can do, and report back if I get a chance, and tell you more about the model, and if it works or not.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ivo_yordanov on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:30 am
([msg=79910]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

Hello

Network monitoring depends a lot on what you want to monitor.
It depends on what kind of architecture. If you have devices supporting Netflow, this could be very handy to identify bottlenecks or missues. There are just a few good tools for netflow under a low budget, try solarwinds or Pandora FMS.

For SNMP monitoring, probably the most common case, most tools do a good job: cacti, zabbix, pandora fms or nagios. OpenNMS and Pandora FMS have the best management of Traps, and only a few manage v3 properly.

For a mixed scope on monitoring: server, apps and networking, you have less tools, we use Pandora FMS for that reason, can manage netflow, snmp, wmi (for remote server monitoring) and agent based monitoring for unix & windows server.

Some Links:

http://pandorafms.com/Producto/network-monitoring/en

http://opennms.com
ivo_yordanov
New User
New User

Post by occamsrzr on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:24 pm
([msg=79913]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

iistapp wrote:So I just moved in with my girlfriend, and well.. She doesn't have a clue about networking or torrenting (actually she doesn't have a clue about computers tbh).

Here is a simple scenario:
I'm playing some games online when I'm taking a break, I tell her to turn off her torrents so I don't get a major amount of lag.

She turns off one torrent, and asks if that helped.

It did. So I start playing.. - 5 minutes later I get such major lag that I disconnect.

So I ask if she turned on her downloads again, and she said no.
Obviously she didn't because she wouldn't lie, so I check her torrent program, and heey! She got 5 more torrent running, but did turn off one. (See, girls never lie)

TLDR: She turned off one torrent and it was fine for 5 minutes, but once the other ones started to connect to other peers the download went to max speed on the other ones and I got fucked.

So, if you are like me and skip all the text and only read the last part of posts, hi to you!
I'm in need of a network monitoring tool. Yes I tried google, but could only find a bunch of not too trustworthy pay to get tools, and couldn't really find any good torrents with a decent tool either.

Anyone got some suggestions?

What I'm looking for is a tool that monitors network usage on different computers, from my own.

1) Solve your problem by reducing her max connections and bandwidth so she can upload/download to her hearts content WHILE you play. http://imgur.com/EYIKYtt

2) What you actually want is something like SNORT. But be warned, it's not for the faint of heart. SNORT is actually an IDS. But it can be used for your needs too

EDIT: Didn't read the post just before mine...yeah that's an easier solution
occamsrzr
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm
([msg=79918]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

Why?

Why?

Why do you guys insist on posting in a thread that is OVER two years old?

Just... Just leave Britney alone.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by occamsrzr on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:18 pm
([msg=80019]see Re: Network Monitoring[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Why?

Why?

Why do you guys insist on posting in a thread that is OVER two years old?

Just... Just leave Britney alone.

Because some of us login, click the "View your posts" link and look for "red", meaning an unread reply to the thread. We don't always remember to check the date of the last post before we reply.

But you're right. I shall endeavour to remember to do this from here on out.
occamsrzr
Experienced User
Experienced User

Previous

Return to Networking