router question

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

router question

Post by perlsyntax on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 am
([msg=61501]see router question[/msg])

I mean could i setup one router and setup 2 router on the same network?
Last edited by perlsyntax on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
perlsyntax
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: router question

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:54 pm
([msg=61848]see Re: router question[/msg])

perlsyntax wrote:I mean could i setup one router and setup 2 router on the same network?

The way you worded that is confusing. Could you try explaining what you're trying to do a little better?
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tremor77 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:47 pm
([msg=61854]see Re: router question[/msg])

You can setup multiple devices within any network... routers, hubs, switches... Just looking at my network.. I have my DSL Modem/Router which is just basically my connection to the internet, a Hardware Firewall Router, a Separate Wireless Access Point, and and old piece of junk Linksys Router that I'm using as a switch instead of a router. Ultimately the more hardware you add to a network configuration the more likelihood you'll have of packet collision and settings conflicts... so it's probably better to think 'streamlined'.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by perlsyntax on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 am
([msg=61952]see Re: router question[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:You can setup multiple devices within any network... routers, hubs, switches... Just looking at my network.. I have my DSL Modem/Router which is just basically my connection to the internet, a Hardware Firewall Router, a Separate Wireless Access Point, and and old piece of junk Linksys Router that I'm using as a switch instead of a router. Ultimately the more hardware you add to a network configuration the more likelihood you'll have of packet collision and settings conflicts... so it's probably better to think 'streamlined'.

So your saying it a bad ideas to setup any other hardware to the network if i am right and if i do i would have alot of packet lost?
perlsyntax
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:11 am
([msg=61956]see Re: router question[/msg])

Whether its a bad idea or not depends on your reason for adding extra devices. Are you trying to extend wireless range or something?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by perlsyntax on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:34 pm
([msg=61960]see Re: router question[/msg])

Yes i am.
perlsyntax
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm
([msg=61961]see Re: router question[/msg])

judging by what Tremor has going on with his network, he is better qualified to help than I am (assuming it all works ;) ) but yeah, go for it. My router has a 'client' setting which makes this process easier, maybe yours will too. Otherwise, you want to make sure you disable DHCP in your second routers configuration to avoid IP issues. Its not hard if you have a read around, you might want to look into switches as well....

Edit: loads of info here for you- http://lmgtfy.com/?q=extending+wireless+range+with+second+router
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:16 am
([msg=61981]see Re: router question[/msg])

How far are you looking to extend your wireless and what is the environment that you are in. Your best bet to extend range if you need to is a directional CANtennae which is capable of much greater distance of wireless transmission than traditional, omni-directional wireless routers.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by amp1776 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 pm
([msg=63688]see Re: router question[/msg])

sounds like you could turn one router into a wireless bridge or repeater to extend your coverage area...
"Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination." Karl Von Clausewitz
amp1776
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 pm
([msg=63871]see Re: router question[/msg])

amp1776 wrote:sounds like you could turn one router into a wireless bridge or repeater to extend your coverage area...

I tried to do this once, it's a pain to do. Usually most routers have a function called WDS, Wireless Distribution System. If both routers have it or you can install dd-wrt (look it up) on one that doesn't, you'll have a repeater set up in no time. The problem with this set-up is that the throughput is halved, as the second router has to receive from the other router and send to a pc and vice versa at the same time.

The best bet for a stable system is to just get a long Ethernet cable and connect a second wireless router to it. If you really want to have them both in the same network, read up on general routing information, as you'll need it. You have to set the settings of the routers almost the same way (IP being different). You can also just create two different wireless networks, but then they'll cause interference and lost packets. An other solution is to buy a $20 repeater specifically designed for extending a wireless network or an antenna with large enough coverage.

I know, that's probably not what you wanted, you just thought that with a spare router you'll get better reception. Anyway, those are the easiest options I know about.

EDIT: Who am I kidding; who's idea was it to revive an old thread? WHO? :shock:
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Networking