LAN - Network Drive

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 pm
([msg=60424]see LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

No idea if it's called a network drive or not, but what the heck, I'm here to learn.

So, I got a local area network set up, and got a few computers up and running on it, one with movies, another with music, and another with well.. quite a bit of trash of odds and sods.

The thing is, I would like to make a network drive (if that's even what it is called), between all of these computers, is that possible to do by sending like some sort of file from my main computer to all the other ones and then run it on my other computers later when I want access to all my different computers from each and everyone one of them? (If only from my main computer that would be great too).

I know there is some sort of way to do this with C&A, but if there is another easier way, that would be great :)

TLDR: A hint of what to google on how to make network drives between my computers on a LAN.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by Phantom Wolf on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:28 pm
([msg=60425]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

If you're running Windows 7 (I assume you are because of the Cain reference), I would look into Homegroup. If not, search for something along the lines of "Windows <version here> file sharing".

This won't function like a network filesystem, but it'll probably accomplish your goals.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:09 am
([msg=60433]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:If you're running Windows 7 (I assume you are because of the Cain reference), I would look into Homegroup. If not, search for something along the lines of "Windows <version here> file sharing".

This won't function like a network filesystem, but it'll probably accomplish your goals.

I have multiple windows OS'es on my computers, but yes, I'm minaly running Win7.

First, thanks for the reply, uhm, I'll take a look into it, but I would rather have it like explained. I really enjoy the network drive path you can make in C&A, so I might just stick with that tbh, but I have to redo it every time I reboot my computer(s)... So It's sort of pissing me off.

Is there a way to "extract" just the network path sharing tool in C&A, and tinker with it to make it more suitable for my purposes? Or would that be a lot of work, and take quite some skills when it comes to programming?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 am
([msg=60435]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

First which ever computer has the drive on it you need to share that drive and take note of the host name. Secondly, for each computer that you want to connect to that drive and share with you would want to go into my computer, then click on "map network drive". The path would be \\hostname\path or \\host ip\path
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 am
([msg=60437]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:First which ever computer has the drive on it you need to share that drive and take note of the host name. Secondly, for each computer that you want to connect to that drive and share with you would want to go into my computer, then click on "map network drive". The path would be \\hostname\path or \\host ip\path

Thanks again for another reply, LoGiCaL__
Would the host name be the name of the computer in this case?

Also, could I set up a domain, or do I need a Windows server for that? (Is it even necessary, or will it just be a waste of time?)

Nevertheless, thanks for the answer, I'll try my way around and see what I can do, hopefully it will work! :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 am
([msg=60439]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Thanks again for another reply, LoGiCaL__
Would the host name be the name of the computer in this case?

Also, could I set up a domain, or do I need a Windows server for that? (Is it even necessary, or will it just be a waste of time?)

Nevertheless, thanks for the answer, I'll try my way around and see what I can do, hopefully it will work! :)

The host name is the name of the computer. You can get it by opening up command prompt and typing in: hostname . You don't need a domain setup for this. Also if the other pc's aren't Win7 make sure that you Win7 pc is updated. I had this issue working in circles for hours just to find out the win7 pc on the network wasn't up to date and was causing all kinds of odd issues printing and connectivity wise.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am
([msg=60441]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
The host name is the name of the computer. You can get it by opening up command prompt and typing in: hostname . You don't need a domain setup for this. Also if the other pc's aren't Win7 make sure that you Win7 pc is updated. I had this issue working in circles for hours just to find out the win7 pc on the network wasn't up to date and was causing all kinds of odd issues printing and connectivity wise.

Cheers for the heads up, but everything here seems to be running smoothly! My PC is up to date, and I have all the drive paths easily access able :)

Working on a usb-stick at the moment, with ISO's of different Linux distros as I've never used Linux before, if you got any suggestions I would love to hear them.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7720
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am
([msg=60445]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Cheers for the heads up, but everything here seems to be running smoothly! My PC is up to date, and I have all the drive paths easily access able :)

Glad to hear you got everything working up to par.

Working on a usb-stick at the moment, with ISO's of different Linux distros as I've never used Linux before, if you got any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Everyone like's something different for their own reasons. However, if it's your first time on linux then you will probably like ubuntu. Trying many out is just something you have to go through on your own and figure out what works for you and your current situation. Personally I like openSuse as my main OS at home and use debian text-only for my dev server. However, I went through many flavors before I found out which ones I wanted to stick with.

Good luck and have fun.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 am
([msg=60446]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
Everyone like's something different for their own reasons. However, if it's your first time on linux then you will probably like ubuntu. Trying many out is just something you have to go through on your own and figure out what works for you and your current situation. Personally I like openSuse as my main OS at home and use debian text-only for my dev server. However, I went through many flavors before I found out which ones I wanted to stick with.

Good luck and have fun.

I think I will go for Ubuntu at first then and work my way around the others as you said, would you suggest the newest version or an older one?

Also, I have OpenSUSE available aswell, but I think I'll try that out some other time after I've been playing around with Ubuntu for a while, but the thing is; there is a GNOME and a KDE version, do you by any chance know the difference? :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 am
([msg=60447]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Just google: kde vs. gnome
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Networking