LAN - Network Drive

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by centip3de on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm
([msg=60469]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

I doubt you've used _all_ of your HDD... But if that happens, I've heard of installing Linux on an external hard drive...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 pm
([msg=60470]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

centip3de wrote:I doubt you've used _all_ of your HDD... But if that happens, I've heard of installing Linux on an external hard drive...


Cheers, I just moved a bunch of movies and deleted some trash from my HDD. (yes I've used up all of it more or less, I only have 2TB on this computer and it's gone pretty fast ;p

Anyways, time to shrink it! Can I use NTSF? Or is that only for Windows? Or should I format to the same file system as my USB-pen? (FAT32).

Google say ext3, but I have no idea how to even get that.. And I don't want to risk running the installer before I know I can choose that file system on it through the installer. Well I've shrink'd my volume as mentioned earlier and got 150GB free that I think I will make into 2 partitions, not sure how much space I will need tho, but that sounds like enough to start with.

I will have to move everything over to my other computer once I go to sleep as I can't bother doing it while I'm awake, as I just sat up the network drives today and haven't been able to transfer stuff from this computer yet, other than a few things to free up space for my partition needed for the installation of Ubuntu and/or BT5.

Uhm, do you need a wireless card to exploit a computer running on my network with wireless if the attackers computer is wired? That probably sound suspisious but it's for learning purposes only, and so far I haven't done too much, as I'm new to the whole BT5. And couldn't connect to my "target" because it's my laptop on my desk with wireless, and I think that might be the reason for it, but since I have no clue, I hope someone have an idea, or maybe I just need a wireless card for my PC. Which I can't bother to buy unless that actually is the reason for it.
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by Phantom Wolf on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 pm
([msg=60492]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

iistapp wrote:Anyways, time to shrink it! Can I use NTSF? Or is that only for Windows? Or should I format to the same file system as my USB-pen? (FAT32).

Google say ext3, but I have no idea how to even get that.. And I don't want to risk running the installer before I know I can choose that file system on it through the installer. Well I've shrink'd my volume as mentioned earlier and got 150GB free that I think I will make into 2 partitions, not sure how much space I will need tho, but that sounds like enough to start with.

The installer should be able to format your partition ext3 for you (and, yes, I do suggest ext3. There are lots of other options, but there are Windows drivers for ext3). I think the Ubuntu installer will even shrink your Windows partition for you
iistapp wrote:Uhm, do you need a wireless card to exploit a computer running on my network with wireless if the attackers computer is wired? That probably sound suspisious but it's for learning purposes only, and so far I haven't done too much, as I'm new to the whole BT5. And couldn't connect to my "target" because it's my laptop on my desk with wireless, and I think that might be the reason for it, but since I have no clue, I hope someone have an idea, or maybe I just need a wireless card for my PC. Which I can't bother to buy unless that actually is the reason for it.

You shouldn't, but it's possible your router isolates wireless clients. I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, though
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm
([msg=60500]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:The installer should be able to format your partition ext3 for you (and, yes, I do suggest ext3. There are lots of other options, but there are Windows drivers for ext3). I think the Ubuntu installer will even shrink your Windows partition for you

I always manually partition my drive. But if i remember correctly Ubuntu can do it for you, but it gets annoying if you do manually partition it.
iistapp wrote:Uhm, do you need a wireless card to exploit a computer running on my network with wireless if the attackers computer is wired? That probably sound suspisious but it's for learning purposes only, and so far I haven't done too much, as I'm new to the whole BT5. And couldn't connect to my "target" because it's my laptop on my desk with wireless, and I think that might be the reason for it, but since I have no clue, I hope someone have an idea, or maybe I just need a wireless card for my PC. Which I can't bother to buy unless that actually is the reason for it.

I'm not sure, but if the desktop is not plugged through the router than you probably won't be able to. If it is plugged through the router, than you will be able to ARP Poison or whatever it is.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 pm
([msg=60597]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

Cheers for the replies, been without internet for a few days.

Alright, so I'll just run the installer then! :)

Uhm, I need a wireless card for my PC anyways, so I guess I'll find out once I get it if that is my problem, uhm, I simply just tried a quick exploit I read about on some page, and followed the instructions as they said how stuff should be done, but it didn't work out for me, and I have no idea why. Anyways, I'll be busy the next few days, thanks for all the help guys. :)
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Previous

Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests