Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network

Post by destroyallhumans on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:24 pm
([msg=60101]see Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network[/msg])

I get destination host unreachable.

I have the local IP address of the computer but when I try to ping it it doesn't work. I guess this is because of the way the router is set up. Would there be any way to set up the router so that I can ping them?

Basically, I have really fast internet and all my neighbors steal it. I'm cool with this because I don't even notice a difference. But I wrote a port scanner today and I want to test out. I'm not going to do anything to their computers. I just want to test my port scanner. Seems like a fair price for free internet. But let's not get into the ethics. I'm sure if I asked they would be fine. Is there any way to set up the router so this will work?

If I give them static IP addresses or something like that?
destroyallhumans
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:50 pm
([msg=60102]see Re: Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network[/msg])

Are you sure you have the right address? Check your router's settings, somewhere there should be a list of DHCP clients. It's also possible that their computer is configured to ignore ping requests.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:03 pm
([msg=60160]see Re: Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network[/msg])

First... you really shouldn't be running your wireless open, especially if unencrypted. Your data transmission may not be secure, and I would certainly hope you do not do your banking from that connection. If I were one of your neighbors you may already be in trouble.

Second, even if your internet is *really* fast, your wireless network could get slowed down depending on the quality of your wireless router. If a couple of your neighbors are running torrents and a couple more are avidly gaming, your WAP could easily get overworked.

Finally you might want to check your ISP's ToS, more and more with the broader ranger of wireless routers, ISP's are packing in anti-connection sharing clauses into their agreements in order to keep 1 household from being a pseudo ISP for a block or small community.

Now on to your actual question "I get destination host unreachable". -- First, your routers DHCP should list all devices directly connection to your WAP... however, there is a fair chance that connecting devices my not be PC's, it could be handhelds, a Nintendo Wii, another wireless router being used to serve ethernet connected PC's in which case your neighbor could be connecting an entire household of devices behind a NAT... there are a number of reasons you get unreachable.

or... it could also be your programming. Why don't you pick up a program called "Angry IP Scanner" http://www.angryip.org/w/Home and see if that returns any different results. It's also open source, so you might be able to learn a few things from that as well.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wyverexauctor on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 am
([msg=60174]see Re: Is there a way to ping a computer on my wireless network[/msg])

As tremor77 suggested you could try a third party tool. Personally I find nMap a good tool for this similar to tremor77s suggestion of using angry ip scanner, additionally you can use the flag -Pn on the range of IP addresses you wish to ping. Usage is something like 192.168.0-255 -Pn for hosts that ignore ping requests. I could be wrong though, that's just off of the top of my head.
wyverexauctor
New User
New User

Return to Networking