One quick questions:

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: One quick questions:

Post by Phantom Wolf on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:19 pm
([msg=56379]see Re: One quick questions:[/msg])

Gatito wrote:Of course I was referring to the default settings but yeah it can be configured to act differently depending on the destination or other things.

Well, the biggest point I was trying to make was that your computer generally doesn't care what its current IP is when figuring out how to route packets.

Gatito wrote:In my defense, I did mention the tables. Yes, I agree I could have done a way better explanation for this part but when I though about explaining about what happens if it points to a local source I couldn't help myself saying that I should explain subnet masking which honestly I felt way too lazy to do so I skipped it altogether.

The table you mentioned sounded more like the DHCP client's table, not the routing table. I don't see why you'd have to explain subnets either. It would've been better to say that the router checks to see if the destination is a local address.

To be fair, though, some routers will check the DHCP table, and then send the packet to only that computer instead of sending it out on a bridge, that way computers on the local network only see packets meant for them.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: One quick questions:

Post by hang_em-high on Tue May 03, 2011 7:54 pm
([msg=56946]see Re: One quick questions:[/msg])

I think it can be agreed upon that it was a quick question. But it was such a strong one that needed a long answer to explain. I learned a little bit too, ty yall.
hang_em-high
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Networking