Dynamic and Static IP question

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Dynamic and Static IP question

Post by Reason7194 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 pm
([msg=55494]see Dynamic and Static IP question[/msg])

Hello everyone, I have some questions on defining what a static and dynamic ip is. From what I think is correct, a static ip address is given by your network when you surf the internet. There is always one ip address, thus called your internet ip address. A dynamic ip address is something given by your network but refreshes itself much more often. This is correct, right?

A side question I have is what a 'chat box' uses to ban a user. I know that using a proxy won't work, so the 'ban' should not come off your internet ip address. It also shouldn't go off your intranet ip because of course you are going through the network which assigns you your internet ip address. I also know that the ban does not use your mac address because a user can leave the network they were banned on, go to another one and not be banned. However, shouldn't that mean that the ban does use your internet ip address? Another question then follow, what does the proxy actually change?
I study Gotafu.
Reason7194
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dynamic and Static IP question

Post by FadingSwordsman on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm
([msg=55496]see Re: Dynamic and Static IP question[/msg])

Reason7194 wrote:Hello everyone, I have some questions on defining what a static and dynamic ip is. From what I think is correct, a static ip address is given by your network when you surf the internet. There is always one ip address, thus called your internet ip address. A dynamic ip address is something given by your network but refreshes itself much more often. This is correct, right?

A side question I have is what a 'chat box' uses to ban a user. I know that using a proxy won't work, so the 'ban' should not come off your internet ip address. It also shouldn't go off your intranet ip because of course you are going through the network which assigns you your internet ip address. I also know that the ban does not use your mac address because a user can leave the network they were banned on, go to another one and not be banned. However, shouldn't that mean that the ban does use your internet ip address? Another question then follow, what does the proxy actually change?

Sort of. Dynamic/static IP addresses depend on how IP addresses are assigned to the current subnet, whether local or on the internet. Most routers and ISPs have a DHCP server which will give your computer a dynamic IP address on the subnet. (Your local network) A static IP is different in that you decide what your IP address is locally, instead of taking an address from the DHCP server.

For an example, Computer A connects to the network and asks the router for a dynamic IP address, and the router returns the next open IP address on it's list (Let's say something like 192.168.1.100) the next computer to ask for a dynamic IP address would get the next open IP address on the router's list (e.g. 192.168.1.101)
Now, Computer C decides it wants a static IP address, at 192.168.1.50 Regardless of the DHCP settings, it should get 192.168.1.50
These three computers will have the same IP addresses until one disconnects from the subnet somehow. If Computer A disconnects and reconnects before the router releases its IP address, it would get the next available IP address (likely 192.168.1.102) so its dynamic IP address is changed.

On a larger network (such as the internet) you have the same thing happening. Someone (Usually your ISP) provides you with an IP address that you have to connect to the internet. They're assigned the same way, but with different number changing (The subnet is different, so instead of 255.255.255.0 it could be 255.0.0.0, which only ignores the first octet of information) In this case, it's your router that gets the subnet, and distributes incoming information accordingly throughout the network. (So Computer A asks for information from 64.32.24.200 [What I get from pinging HTS] and your router returns the information to the appropriate IP address, either 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.102)

As to IP banning, a proxy should be able to circumvent it, unless the proxy itself is banned as well. Since the information is ultimately leaving the proxy server to the chat client, your perceived IP address should be different. You should be using the proxy as a VPN, so that the proxy is considered to be your internet IP address. (Essentially a larger version of your home network which then connects to the internet) MAC addresses are ignored once you hit the router level, so that wouldn't matter as far as IP banning goes.

In some cases, there can be additional ways of enforcing bans, such as banning computers, by placing tags on your computer somehow (A registry key, for example) that would follow your computer but not necessarily your account name.

Edit: Consistency in IP capitalization, minor grammar fixes.
FadingSwordsman
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Networking