IPV6

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

IPV6

Post by terencemckenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 am
([msg=53254]see IPV6[/msg])

Who here is using IPV6? Where can I find out more about IPV6? I watched a cool defcon video on one of the lectures on IPV6 and how it is useful and also on why it is necessary to switch to IPV6. Two cool links that were mentioned in the lecture were:
http://he.net and http://www.sixxs.net/. What are the pro's and con's of IPV6 and how does selling your IPV4 address work or is just a very abstract idea? Also what does IPV6 do in terms of hiding or showing your identity? What is gonna happen when IPV4 addresses run out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CnqRK0GHE&feature=related
terencemckenna
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IPV6

Post by Okeymaker on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 am
([msg=53257]see Re: IPV6[/msg])

Just random comment without useful information:
What is gonna happen when the IPv4 adresses run out is that you need to get IPv6 connection from your local internet provider, which has not told you about this problem before, because he wants your money.
I heard this "news", that the IPv4 adresses will run out this year, just 2 weeks ago an I was like; AARGH!

HINT: If you don´t wanna have troubles with this when the time comes when you REALLY need a fully established IPv6 connection, my idea is that you ask your internet provider to get it for you RIGHT NOW!
And no, I haven´t done it myself yet because my mum won´t let me... xD
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by terencemckenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm
([msg=53261]see Re: IPV6[/msg])

I think everyone should phone their service provider just for the joke. I phoned mine and asked when I can get IPV6 ip,they said they don't really have it in my country yet. Then I asked what are they gonna do when the IP addresses run out, they just said they aren't sure yet but they know it will cause a problem.
terencemckenna
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm
([msg=53263]see Re: IPV6[/msg])

Here's my understanding of it, I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The obvious pro of IPv6 is more address space, supposedly enough so that almost every device can have its own public IP address, although that probably won't happen. The obvious con is that it's incompatible with IPv4. Eventually (hopefully) everyone will get switched and it won't be a problem.

In all likelihood, you can't sell your IP address because you don't 'own' it, your ISP does. They actually have a pool of IPs that they let their customers use when they connect. They can sell addresses out of their pool, but only to people who have contacted ARIN (the people responsible for giving out IPs in North America) and been turned down.

It's hard to say exactly what will happen when IPv4 addresses run out. Perhaps they'll just start giving out IPv6 addresses, which would result in a small number of people being completely unable to connect (those people still using old systems that don't support IPv6), on top of that, attempts at accessing IPv4 resources from an IPv6 address would have to go through a sort of gateway, which would probably be laggy and break certain protocols. Not so bad, and I imagine that public resources on the Internet would get an IPv6 pretty quick (lots of sites already have one, like Google and Facebook). Of course, it could end up with all of America looking like Raccoon City for all I know.

As far as privacy goes, IPv6 will be worse than IPv4 since you're supposed to use your MAC address as the last part of your IP address, but there's nothing forcing you to do this. There are other security flaws too, I'm sure, but it looks like, for the most part, the only difference will be the longer address.

Another DEFCON lecture with some useful information - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2clTKh2vFAE
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm
([msg=53273]see Re: IPV6[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:The obvious pro of IPv6 is more address space, supposedly enough so that almost every device can have its own public IP address, although that probably won't happen.

I like how Beej explains it: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/ ... l#ipaddrs1
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Networking