MAC OSX VPN Connection

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

MAC OSX VPN Connection

Post by S4ltine on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:06 pm
([msg=52535]see MAC OSX VPN Connection[/msg])

I have an iMAC OS X desktop and two Windows 7 desktops. I do not have apple server software or parallels (Will purchase parallels if required once I get a little more information on Lion). I would like to set up a Windows server and connect through a VPN on my iMAC...not much action in MAC threads...My main objective here would be of course to browse privately and securely.

Thanks for clearing up my mess ;) I am obviously just trying to throw what I think I have to do out there!
I am trying to do both. I use Vidalia...if thats what you mean by ToR?

~Thanks Shizzle, your google works better than mine after all :D So your stating the obvious in that I need to accomplish this by running MAC OSX and Linux Server...If I wanna do it the free way -I'll look into this thanks
Last edited by S4ltine on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
S4ltine
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: MAC OSX VPN Connection

Post by Vulpine on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:32 pm
([msg=52539]see Re: MAC OSX VPN Connection[/msg])

So, are you asking how to set up a VPN server and connect with a VPN client on your Mac, or how to browse securely and privately? Or both?

If browsing securely and privately is your real objective, then you don't need to set up a VPN for that. Tor, with a plug-in or two, can accomplish that for a fraction of the cost and effort. An SSL proxy would do the trick, too.

Hopefully one of the senior members here picks this up. I'd love to read about some first-hand experience setting up and using VPNs from the guys here.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Re: MAC OSX VPN Connection

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm
([msg=52545]see Re: MAC OSX VPN Connection[/msg])

http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/a ... ;post-1873

It's free but you have to create an account. Personally, I have email subscriptions a lot of their stuff.

This shows you how to set up a OpenVPN server and also set up Linux and MAC OS clients to use with it. Check it out.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Networking