Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts

Post by acrocycle on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm
([msg=51575]see Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

On my home network, I have been playing around with network security. I found this interesting article on how to use the mac address and ip of the router and collect the mac and ip of a users computer on the network. After you have that, you change your mac address and ip to that user's.

It works for a few minutes but for some reason, the connection halts on my computer and the other computer whos mac address and ip I have just started using. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening? Could I somehow block the other computer or disconnect it?
acrocycle
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 pm
([msg=51580]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

You are giving the router 2 computers with the same IP. It doesn't know what to do... that's why it halts. How do you mean 'block' the other computer?
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 am
([msg=51653]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

Yes exactly, you have a network IP conflict which usually results in the router just not recognizing either machine, or the machine that was attached on that IP address first. What is the end result you are wishing to seek? Blocking or disconnecting the other PC that you are spoofing would require any number of things, based on the router type and the network structure. Some routers if you have access might allow you to resolve an IP conflct, however, you say you are also using the same MAC Address, so in a sense, you are the other PC and the router will have no way of differentiating that. Therefor the only solution is to disconnect the other PC either physically... or by hacking it.
tremor77

Post by Defience on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 am
([msg=51660]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

Why not just spoof your mac and ip to something other than theirs?
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm
([msg=51747]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

Defience wrote:Why not just spoof your mac and ip to something other than theirs?

I am assuming to use the credentials of the other PC in order to get around parental controls or some other security enforcment.
tremor77

Post by Defience on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 pm
([msg=51752]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:
Defience wrote:Why not just spoof your mac and ip to something other than theirs?

I am assuming to use the credentials of the other PC in order to get around parental controls or some other security enforcment.

Right....spoof your mac, high jack someone else's connection, spoof your ip and gogogo. If you're just looking to get on their internet, you don't need to spoof the ip because it would just lead back to the person that owns the connection anyway. Or am I missing something here?
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm
([msg=51797]see Re: Spoofing MAC address and using IP... connection halts[/msg])

Defience wrote:Right....spoof your mac, high jack someone else's connection, spoof your ip and gogogo. If you're just looking to get on their internet, you don't need to spoof the ip because it would just lead back to the person that owns the connection anyway. Or am I missing something here?

If you're piggybacking you don't need to spoof anything unless you are attacking their encryption. Only a few take the time to actually block connection via MAC.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Networking